De : goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] De la part de
Graham Triggs
Envoyé : 17 décembre 2013 16:18
À : Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Objet : [GOAL] Re: Jeffrey Beall Needlessly Compromises Credibility of Beall's
List

On 17 December 2013 16:32, Couture Marc
<marc.cout...@teluq.ca<mailto:marc.cout...@teluq.ca>> wrote:
This is a somewhat incomplete, if not flawed argument.

1. The prices mentioned by Graham are just two examples (out of 280 current
journals in SciELO Brazil). One reads further in the same blog post : "In the
case of SciELO Brazil, the average per article cost of publication is around US
$130".

Does that represent US $130 cost to the author, or US $130 cost for the
journal? There are cases of subsidized journals on SciELO, in which case you
then also have to look at where that funding is coming from, to consider the
overall cost to the public purse of publishing on SciELO.

Without knowing more detail (and we have to accept that and make allowances for
incomplete information on both sides of the fence), it's not unreasonable to
suggest that the higher priced APCs for SciELO journals are more indicative of
the true underlying publishing costs.