Graham,

There is still disagreement as to the exact scope of CC-NC license. For
example, a University which uses material in a MOOC for which it does not
charge any fees isclearly NC. However, what about if they offer certification
of completion for a fee (as some do). Does the profit/not-for-profit status
of the institution (or the platform) make a difference? There is clear
precedent in tax law, for example, of treating some activities of non-profit
organisations as commercial activity (though in the US for 501(c)(3)
organisations this is usually only applied to activities outside their core
purpose). The claim that other scholars can use CC-NC licensed papers without
inpinging on the license is not clear to me (my LLM dissertation was on
copyright law,to demonstrate that I have some expertise in the area),
particularly as it can include students paying fees, either for their course
in general or even for a specific short course, plus academics engage in
consultancy work as well, for which they may use academic papers.

The functional equivalent in computer software, licensing of e.g. compilers
for educational use only - a common arrangement with universities - is
clearly interpreted as meaning that students who use thecompiler to develop a
project must purchase a commercial license for the compiler if they wish to
distribute the resulting binary outside the requirements for their course.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and