On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Arthur Sale <a...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Christian Gutknecht <christian.gutkne...@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> I really like the idea to let researchers feel that subscription is an
> outdated model. And an easy way to do that without upsetting them too much,
> is to cancel subscriptions and get rid of the Big Deals.
>
> I don’t have access to the raw data now apart from knowing that we fulfill
> 13,000+ requests a year, but the University of Tasmania has operated a free
> unlimited-quantity service for 15 years, funded pay-per-view centrally (ie
> in replacement for subscriptions).

Let me make sure I understand this, Arthur: Are you saying UTas has
cancelled all journal subscriptions, and has just just pay per view?

This page seems to suggest otherwise:

http://rk9dr6cc2p.search.serialssolutions.com/?L=RK9DR6CC2P&tab=JOURNALS

> It is very much used, and regarded as a keystone of library research
> support. It simply is not true that academics are devoted to instant
> access, and they are prepared to wait a day or two to read the papers they
> think are relevant.

If UTas had indeed cancelled all journal subscriptions, as Christian
suggested, then I would have asked:

What about the papers they are not sure are relevant, or only want to skim
quickly? Can UTas afford to pay (and authors afford to wait?)

The answer means something different if this is the only way they can
access content (apart from what is already OA on the Web) (because all UTas
submissions have been cancelled)  or if this is merely a supplement to UTas's
subscription content
<http://rk9dr6cc2p.search.serialssolutions.com/?L=RK9DR6CC2P&tab=JOURNALS>.

(My guess is that if universities could keep their users happy cancelling
all their journals, and it turned out that they could afford pay-per-view
for all articles their users ever wanted, then this solution would not only
be happening at UTas. But I'm ready to be proved wrong, if that's what you
are saying.)

> Of course they use alert services, metadata, etc in making the judgment,
> but if they think a paper is worth reading in full (it may not be after
> they have read it but nobody cares) they have no hesitation in using the
> university’s service. The economics do stack up, and I am proud to have
> introduced it in about 1998.
>
> See http://www.utas.edu.au/library/research/document-delivery and
> http://www.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/65611/Document-Delivery-Service-online-guide-v10.7.12.pdf
> .

*"Does your results list include a hit for University of Tasmania? If so,
please check our online catalogue before placing your request.*
*If the journal title is not held in the University of Tasmania Library,
click to request." *

Stevan Harnad