Some open access advocates do equate OA with the CC-BY license, but not all of
us. My perspective is that pushing for ubiquitous CC-BY is a major strategic
error for the OA movement. Key arguments:

Granting blanket downstream commercial re-use rights allows for downstream toll
access whether or a one-off or broad-based scale.

Examples (broad-based at end):

Actual anonymous example reported to me: book publisher pushed by funder with
policy to use CC-BY license. Downstream commercial re-use: take the book, strip
third-party Non-CC-BY content, sell book on Amazon. This competes with the
publisher's freemium model (threat to needed revenue source for OA) and impacts
publisher reputation  (lawsuit on basis of moral rights an option but outcome
not clear and some of us would prefer not to invite such re-use rather than
suing). Is this the GOAL of open access?

Blanket CC-BY rights for works are problematic. Many scholarly authors and
journals include third party works which may not be available for CC-BY
licensing. These works do not always come from academia, and those that do are
not necessarily restricted to works published after CC-BY licenses were
developed, so a 100% academic CC-BY scenario would not address this issue. This
means that even if you think ubiquitous CC-BY is a great idea, the most
optimistic possibility is a mixed licensing environment, with non-CC-BY works
mixed in. These third party works that the original author thought worthy of
seeking permission to publish may be exactly the bits that the downstream users
wants to use. In my opinion this warrants research.

A related problem is that strong CC-BY requirements may make it more difficult
to publish works including bits where authors need to use academic freedom to
include portions of works for purposes of academic critique. That is, sometimes
we must re-use bits of works to make a point where there is strong possibility
that the copyright holder would object to re-use. This is an academic freedom
issue.

Another academic freedom issue is that pushing authors to re-use of CC-BY works
is an intellectual limitation with respect to intellectual work. Nothing was CC
licensed before CC licenses were invented about 15 years ago. My works are not
CC-BY licensed so OA authors who must publish CC-BY have an incentive to simply
ignore my work.

Ethics: where human subjects are involved, informed consent to publish their
material (stories, pictures, etc.) as CC-BY would require explaining to them
the potential consequences. The use of a CC-BY licensed photo of a young girl
by Virgin Mobile in an advertising campaign would be a good example to point to
as a potential consequence:
http://lessig.org/blog/2007/09/on_the_texas_suit_against_virg.html

Without such informed consent, downstream problematic re-use is a potential
legal risk for author, publisher, and research funder with a CC-BY requirement.
The latter might make a particularly attractive target for a lawsuit (obviously
has funding, fixed address). A single case of this nature, from my perspective,
would be a major reputation all risk for the entire OA movement. It is in the
best interests of OA to acknowledge that downstream re-use has potential risks
as well as benefits.

Worst case scenario for an all-CC-BY PMC: a commercial company copies the whole
thing regularly to resell for their own profit (why not, when a blanket
invitation for commercial re-use is extended?), and successfully lobbies
government supporters of PMC to drop funding for the original as inappropriate
competition with the public sector (why not? Many governments are privatizing
things like health care, education, public infrastructure?). That is,
broad-based CC-BY success risks reversion of the entire system to downstream
toll access.

I comment on this topic as issues arise in this blog series:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2012/10/critique-of-cc-by-series.html?m=1

best,

Heather Morrison
OA advocate, CC-BY sceptic and CC-BY requirement opponent