I am very sorry, but « everyone concerned at Elsevier from the top to the
bottom and the bottom to the top » doesn’t seem to understand what research on
a virus is about.

In order to be innovative and creative, researchers working on a specific virus
need of course access to all the existing literature on this virus but also to
all the existing literature on all the other viruses as well as on the
immunological mechanisms induced and on the molecular biology of the cells this
virus infects. Serendipity is at that price.
Many other areas must also be widely open such as epidemiology, sociology,
psychology, you name it.

In other words - and even if we restrict our thinking to COVID-19 - what
humankind needs urgently NOW, is an open access to all the relevant research
literature in a much wider domain than just that of this virus.
Very simply, to all the scholarly literature.

This is the strong message that the Open Access movement (Diamond, free to
write, free to read) has been propagating for two decades (before being
perverted by the publishers’ highjacking of the Gold OA principle). Now that
tens of thousands of people are dying, this message is becoming dreadfully
justified.

Bernard Rentier
Professor emeritus of Virology
University of Liège, Belgium