Hello Richard,

Yes, indeed, you are right, the coordinated actions required for
bibliodiversity are similar to the efforts needed to deal with the covid19
pandemic.

For your second question, the way I am envisioning the collaborations taking
place is as follows: much of the discussions across the different stakeholder
communities will happen at the national and sometimes regional level, while the
international coordination will take place, in parallel, within each different
stakeholder community. Although not a perfect solution, because some countries
are more cohesive than others, many communities already have fairly strong
regional and international relationships with their peers, including scholarly
societies, libraries, funders (e.g. the funders forum at RDA), governments, as
well as publishers, and repositories.

> Are translation technologies adequate to the task envisaged for them in the
> document?

I’m not an expert on translation technologies, but my colleagues tell me that
for some languages the technologies are quite far along already and work well
(e.g. Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese), for others it will take a bit
longer. They are suggesting a timeline for most languages to have fairly good
translation tools available within the next 5 years.

> Might it be that the different interests and priorities of these stakeholders
> are such that joint action is not possible, certainly in a way that would
> satisfy all the stakeholders? After all, funders got involved with open
> access because after 20+ years the other stakeholders had failed to work
> together effectively. However, in doing so, these funders appear (certainly
> in Europe) to be pushing the world in a direction that the authors of this
> report deprecate. What, practically, can the movement do to achieve the
> aspirations of the document beyond making a call to action or further
> declarations?

The point of this call to action is to raise awareness with funders and others
about this important issue. I’m not so cynical to think organizational
perspectives can never change. Strategies can (and should) evolve as we gain a
better understanding of the landscape, and adopt new ideas and principles. We
hope that this call to action will have that type of impact.

And, yes of course not all interests will align, but we are already seeing more
cohesiveness at the national level than in the past. In Canada, where I am
based, for example, the funders, libraries and local Canadian publishers are
now in regular dialogue and collaborating to work on common action items and to
better align policies, funding and infrastructure. This is also happening in
other jurisdictions such as France with its Committee for Open Science
<https://www.ouvrirlascience.fr/the-committee-for-open-science/> and Portugal
where the national funder, universities (including libraries and university
presses) and scholarly societies have created and maintain a national
infrastructure for Open Access (hosting repositories and journals) and aligned
policies.

All the best,
Kathleen

Kathleen Shearer
Executive Director
Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
www.coar-repositories.org