Dear Mario,

Thank you for the compliments.

Smita Salunke is not personally known to me. She is, however, the ONLY WOMAN
contesting the Lok Sabha elections from the state of Goa which has 18
candidates in all, ten of them vying for South Goa with her.

According to the newspaper reports, Mrs. Smita Pravin Salunke [nee Naik],
resident of Margao, is a 37 year old lady with a Post-Graduate degree and
working as a lecturer in a college. Her husband, Pravin Salunke, is an IPS
Police Officer. She has done social work in Maharashtra, where they were based
before coming to Goa. She is a good looker , too. Her photo on the newspapers
resembles the person one sees on the Cable TV networks.

Speaking on the two burning issues of Goa: mining and tourism, she is of the
view that the present policies have resulted in the ruin of the state with the
authorities maintaining silence over the mushrooming of mines resulting in
tremendous pollution. [For learning what the mining situation is like visit
www.mandgoa.blogspot.com  for which Seby Rodrigues has been slapped with a
restraint order by the Kolkata High Court based on an application on behalf of
a local mining company in Goa.]

She has a 12 point programme in her manifesto:
1. Good governance
2. Secularism
3. Clean administration
4.Public security
5. Employment generation
6. Women's Empowerment
7. Revivial of folk art including Tiatr
8. Revival of handicrafts and cottage industry
9 Protection of natural resources
10. Sustainable development
11. Protection of locals from CRZ demolitions
12 Proper disposal of garbage
[Source GT 10 April, 2009, page 4]

Smita is a 37 years young college lecturer. Matanhy is 60 year old retired
school  teacher.

Francisco Saldanha is 60 years plus [he turned 63 on 15 April, 2009, if I am
not mistaken] and his first priority is constructing an arena for Dhirio
[bullfights] using MP-LADs fund though his Dhirio legalizing bill in the
Parliament has lapsed ...and the Dhirio Bill of his sparring partner, Aleixo
Reginaldo Lourenco, has been passed by the Goa Assembly but not yet assented by
the Governor of Goa to becaome a law in Goa. [H.E. Dr. Shivinder Singh Sidhu
was quick to sign an Ordinance to save the Cidade de Goa, although that
Ordinance like the Prevention of Cruelty to  Animals [Goa Amendment] Bill,
2009, required the prior sanction of the President of India according to
Article  31 B, C and similar provisions for Central Acts in the "Concurrent
List"]

Adv. Narendra Sawaikar is a 40 years plus former ABVP student leader from the
BJP cadres. He has not really distinguished himself in any field to be
consiedred a worthy candidate for the Parliament. One might as well elect
Arsenio D'Silva, the wannabe MP candidate who never gets a Congress ticket.

Smita is starting with a clean slate. Matanhy has his plate cluttered with
Kesari-bath of BJP and spurious caju feni of UGDP ...and does not know where
one ends and the other begins.

When the choice is between a lady and a gent, well-groomed gentlemen and boys
are expected to give the lady the first choice.

If the South Goa electorate has the courage to vote for change, Smt. Smita
Pravin Salunke, is a better choice than any other candidate in the fray this
election. Otherwise, Sardinha, Sawaikar and Saldanha are the three familiar
"S"es in the fray. It is hardly a choice.

Mog asundi

Miguel