# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.           #

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      APRIL 8, 2005   DATELINE: GOA
  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by
||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__||   Frederick Noronha
|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

        IN TODAY'S ISSUE: Major re-shuffle in Goa bureaucracy,
        BJP talk on bye-elections, Margao's truck terminal
        plan jinxed? Get links to the Knowledge Initiatives Trust,
        the Vatican, Jazz... and get news about Pomburpa.

o BYE-ELECTIONS: BJP TO CONTEST ALL FIVE SEATS. Trying to counter the
  speculations that the BJP is short of good and winnable candidates,
  Parrikar said his party had no dearth of candidates. But he said they
  will announce the names of the candidates soon after it is clear
  what type of elections the State is going in for. Five constituencies
  that will go in for bye-elections are Taleigao, Cumbarjua, Velim,
  Poinguinim and Benaulim. Local legislators resigned their seats
  following instability in the Goa assembly, that pulled down the BJP.(H)

o TRUCK-TERMINUS PLAN IN MARGAO, A DEAD-END? Former urban development
  minister Digambar Kamat's dream project of a controversial truck-terminus
  at Margao's northern entry point appears to be grounded for now.
  With his joining the Congress, the fact is that the project has been
  long opposed by many a Congress leader. (H)

o Major re-shuffle in Goa bureaucracy. Nikhil Kumar, an IAS officer,
  replaces North Goa collector A B Bhartu, who was recently
  relieved from services of the state administration. (NT)
o Small traders for hike in VAT exemption limit. (NT)
o No new multiplex likely for 36th IFFI at Goa. (NT)
o Dona Paula stocks up mineral water in its war against NIO sewage
  'treatment'. (GT) Water restored to Dona Paula. (H)
o KRC faces road-blocks in attempt to come out of red. The
  Konkan Railway Corporation (which was set up anticipating profits
  much earlier) now says it expects to break-even only five years
  from now. Officials also argued that the growth projections may get
  derailed due to delays to put in place projects such as the Sky Bus.(H)
o Konkan Railway Corporation is set to construct the world's highest
  bridge across the river Chenab in Jammu & Kashmir. (H)
o Ambelim village sarpanch, deputy Suraj Fernandes and Rex Anthony
  D'Cruz voted out of office. (H)
o Development evading Pomburpa village, claims sarpanch Gokuldas
  Halarnkar.(H)
o Goa's directorate of agriculture participated, for the first
  time in the International Food Exhibition 2005, IFF2005,
  organised in mid-March at Excel, London's exhibition centre
  in the heart of Docklands. Said a newspaper headline: "Goa's
  choicest mangoes tickle British palate".

NEWS FROM CYBERSPACE

KNOWLEDGE INITIATIVES IN GOA: Daryl Martyris <dmartyris at hotmail.com> who
has been working on the Goa Computers in Schools Project, and now the
Knowledge Initiatives Trust (KIT) had his attention drawn to the possibility
of the Verna Industrial Association offering remedial teachers to schools in
the belt. Says he: "I would really appreciate it if someone could keep me
informed about this part of the project. I might also be able to help with
providing materials that are used here for remedial teaching. Also, Pratham,
an NGO in Mumbai, has used remedial teaching to great effect for primary
schools kids." The VIA initiative is still in a preliminary stage. If
interested in supporting education initiatives in Goa, contact Daryl or
check out
http://mail.knowledgeinitiatives.org/mailman/listinfo/kitrust_knowledgeinitiatives.org

        FROM THE VATICAN: Fontainhas (Pangim)-based Fernando do Rego
        <fernandodorego at yahoo.com> reports on the Portuguese-Goa mailing
        list http://www.onelist.com/community/goa-portuguese that a visit to
        the http://www.vatican.va site threw up the "full ritual of the
        Eucharist service for the funeral Mass of the Pope to take place at
        0800 GMT".

ALL THAT JAZZ! Jazzgoa <jazzgoa at yahoo.com> alerted musicians about their
event featuring Yvonne Gonsalves (vocals), Xavier Peres (keyboards), Colin
D'Cruz (bass), Lester Godinho (drums) on April 18, from 9 pm onwards. Call
Chris on 9422437682 for more information.

        Jazz Junction was formed in Goa in April 2004 by bass-player Colin
        D'Cruz. The band made it's debut at the fashion meets jazz show
        L'affaire Xtraordinaire in Panjim. Soon after that the band made
        waves at the 'Down to Earth' jazz festival in Campal and has since
        performed at most of the major live music events happening around
        the country. The band was formed with a unique 'floating
        singers/soloists' concept where a different singer and soloist is
        featured at every performance. Audiences get to hear the band in a
        different avatar each time the band is in concert.

        So far the band has featured some accomplished local as well as
        international jazz artistes like vocalists Helen Jones (UK), Najla
        Shami (Spain), Scot Andersen (Canada), Vivienne Pocha, Yvonne
        Gonsalves, Samantha Edwards, Sharon Rodrigues, Suzanne D'Mello,
        Ursula Fernandes, saxophonist Neelamjit Singh Dhillon (Canada),
        Jayson Beaster Jones (USA), Maarten Gamwijcan (Germany), Joe
        Pereira, Saby Dias, Shyam Raj, trombonist Dennis Rollins (UK) and
        Blasco Monsorate, trumpet players Martin Dahanukar (switzerland)
        Frank Dubier and Bosco Monsorate. The band has also been invited to
        perform at the Malaysian jazz festival that takes place in December
        this year for which the band will feature a couple of Indian
        classical musicians as singer/soloist.

FOR MORE MUSIC-RELATED LINKS, sign up at this free mailing-list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goamusician/

LINKS TO MALACCA: Viveca <radioheart1 at yahoo.com> in distant Malaysia
tells GNB about this site about Malacca, a region in the far-east that had
historic links with its 'colonial cousin' Goa in past centuries:

        http://picturesofmalaysia.com/malacca/

WEDDING BELLS, IN MUMBAI: Congrats to Sherwin Crasto, Mumbai-based veteran
news photographer (earlier with a number of newspapers, then Associated
Press, and now with his own photo-agency), who recently married Tricia at St
Michael's Mahim. Their reception was held at St Joseph's School Grounds,
Hill Road Bandra. Sherwin was this afternoon photographing Old Goa, and is
otherwise based at Sea Shells, 13 Darabsha Lane, Off Nepean Sea Road,
Mumbai 36 <sherwincrasto at gmail.com>

'POMBURPA NEEDED ONLY FOR POLLS, GARBAGE SITE': Melvyn Misquita and Anil
Shankwalkar report that Pomburpa village panchayat has an annual income of
just Rs 40,000 -- barely enough to buy a motorcycle, forget any envisaging
any lofty project in the village. Their report adds: "And its geographic
location offers little assistance to augment its cash-strapped coffers.
Pomburpa does not own any part of the lucrative land at Porvorim plateau,
half of which is claimed by its neighbours, Penha-da-Franca,
Salvador-do-Mundo and Socorro." See
http://www.melvyn.misquita.in/works/2005/050408.html

GOA INITIATIVES

FROM SALIGAO, CALLING ALL CHILDREN: April 13, 2005 will see a special
edition of the 'Reading Hour' for children (aged 3 to 10 years and beyond)
at the Saligao Institute. It will be called: Once There Was A Beautiful
Spring. Netters may be aware that the village is battling a concrete
construction coming up 40 metres away from its famed natural spring at
Salmona, Saligao. You're welcome at 5 pm, April 13, Saligao Institute,
Arrarim, Saligao. Pass the word around, please!

        Journalist-turned-wildlife enthusiast now based abroad, Harvey
        D'Souza <tarzan_1968ing at yahoo.com>, says he has been "following
        the Salmona mails keenly" and points out that an interview on his
        work in the area is located at
        http://www.southernbirdwing.com/goa_wildlife/saligao_springs.htm
        Says Harvey: "I also have a pretty comprehensive bird list of the
        birds sighted there and can dig it our for you if you require
        it...." Please do!

        Thanks to Parag Rangnekar <paragrangnekar at yahoo.com> for sending
        this appeal to a whole lot of young nature enthusiasts in Goa.

EMAIL ADDRESS FOR EVERY GOAN: Rene Barreto <r_barreto at btconnect.com>
takes his Goanet-supported initiative ahead by networking with St Xavier's
College in Mapusa, Goa. Principal Newman Fernandes evinced interest in the
ambitious goal. Said Barreto: "We look forward to working with St. Xavier's
College on this and many other community-led projects in the near future. We
have been told that St. Xavier's has about 26 other community projects for
this summer." The London-based senior citizen called on Xavier's to
encourage its staff and students to have their own email address, and sought
their help to "promote the idea to Goans in the furthermost villages of
Goa". Barreto urged Goan academics and students in universities outside Goa
to support Xavier's build a college-link with their own institutions, as
requested by Principal Newman: xavierscollege at sancharnet.in
Rene Barreto also organises World Goa Day in August each year, which he
describes as "a day set aside by Goans to express their solidarity with Goa
and Goans everywhere".

RUTH DE SOUZA, AT WORK IN NEW ZEALAND: If you're interested in Asian migrant
or refugee health, Ruth DeSouza wants to hear from you. Ruth who is the new
Co-ordinator/Senior Research Fellow for the Centre for Asian and Migrant
Health (part of the National Institute for Public Health and Mental Health
Research) hopes to develop research partnerships and collaboration across
the University. http://www.aut.ac.nz/staff/insideaut/index.shtml#11

        Says Ruth: "I worked at National Women's and saw a lot of Asian
        migrant/refugee women. Then I went to Mental Health Services and saw
        a lot of white, middle class women. I wondered where the poor women,
        the solo mums, the Maori women and the Indian and refugee women
        were. They weren't making use of the services at all."

Ruth found that many migrant women with post natal depression tended to call
what they were feeling loneliness and wouldn't seek out mental health
services. She also found that such women lost the birth support and rituals
they had in their country of origin. "For example Asian women have 40 days
of pampering after giving birth where they can just look after the baby and
the rest of the community takes care of everything else. Here they have to
try to recreate such rituals or create new ones."

QUOTE... UNQUOTE

Who says Parrikar's tenure was corruption-free? Never in the history
of Goa have so many crores of rupees been siphoned off from the public
exchequer  on mega projects such as development of the Mala lake,
IFFI, Corjuem (Aldona) bridge, the EDC one-time settlement to kin and
friends of the BJP etc. -- Floriano Lobo, Goa Su-raj.

        Dear Mr Manoharbab Parrikar, where are you? Panaji is
        looking like an abandoned bride after the honeymoon --
        violated, disappointed, betrayed, confused, terrified
        about her future and terribly let down. Never mind if you
        are not the CM anymore, never mind if you gave up the
        GSIDC chairmanship. You cannot abandon your dream
        child, the promenade from Patto to Dona Paula, that was
        totally sought to be changed, dug-up, half done and
        abandoned as was done immediately after the grand IFFI
        was over, while you were in power. -- Anand V Madgaokar.

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

        WOMEN, YOUTH DIE IN MISHAPS: In two separate incidents,
        two persons were killed in a road accident in Goa on
        Thursday. In yet another tragic accident, a 65-year-old
        woman was killed by a speeding vehicle on the
        highway opposite the Goa Medical College, Bambolim early
        on Thursday. Lata Pednekar, the victim from Goa Velha,
        had finished visiting an ailing relative. (GT)

GOA VELHA-UDDY: Micaela Fernandes. b 1930. Wife of late Francisco,
mother/in-law of Julie/Domnick, Martha/Anthony, Marie/Benny,
Edu/Sebastiao and Milagres/Germina. Funeral April 8, 4 pm to St
Andrew's at Goa Velha.

SALVADOR DO MUNDO/UMBRA: Arthur Fernandez. Husband of late Gloria,
son of late Anthony and Gabriella, brother/in-law of Mira/
late K S Mathew (Joy), Alcina, Alzira/Claudio da Costa, brother-in
law of Florrie, late Esme/late Philip, Jane/late Claude, Pat/
Teresa expired in Mumbain on April 6. Funeral on April 8 at
3.30 pm from his residence at Agdez House, Umbra at 3.30 pm
for Church of Saviour of the World.

        SERAULIM: Joao Mariano Vales, ex Sarpanch.
        B 1924. Husband of Circacia, father/in-law of
        Bosco/Antonetta, Savio (Dubai)/Ema, Edgar (Eddie)/
        Flora (UK), grand-dad of Clive, Dylon, Errol, Eagan,
        Gavin, Gareth, brother of late Cassiana, late
        Jose Sebastiao, late Lodovina, late Dumithilda, late
        Fr Custodio, Santana and Catarina. Funeral on April 8
        at 3.30 pm to OL of Pilar Church, Seraulim.

TALEIGAO-SANTISSIMO VADDO: Caetano Manuel Francisco Viegas.
Ex-employee of PWD Works Divn IV. Husband of Felicidade Viegas,
father of Clare, Marliza and Lionel. Son of Maria Viegas and late Rafael
Viegas, brother/in-law of Assis/Remy, Carlos/Cristiana, Serena/Braz
and Aleluia/Annie. Funeral April 8 at 4 pm for St Michael's Church,
Taleigao.

VELSAO-FALWADDO: Maria Ida Nunes. Relict of Inacio, mother/in-law
of Winston, Wylia, Warren/Sevigne, grandmum of Rachel and
Tyrel, sister of Lira Pinto. Funeral April 8, 4 pm to OL of
Assumption Church, Velsao.

GOA SPORTS

SALGAOCAR 1 VASCO 0: Brazilian striker Fabio Dos Passos' majestic
solo strike helped Salgaocar win in the battle between the two teams
from the port city of Vasco. Even a late controversial penalty,
eventually wasted by Brazilian Fabio Soares, could not rescue a point
for the Vasco Sports Club. (H)

Calangute Association got the better of Agassiam YC 2-1 in the
Saudi Cup-05 Tropa Soccer, at St Anthony's church grounds, Siolim, to
storm into the semis. (H)

Football Club Siolim had to wait till the tie-breaker before
knocking out Friends XI Vaddem 3-2 in the Aldona panchayat cup played
at Quitla grounds, Aldona. (H)

Uday Naik's late equalizer propelled Saligao Sporting to a 7-5
win via the tie-breaker, over Youth Club of Manora, to enter the
finals of the Xetrapal Soccer 2005, played at Xetrapal grounds,
Oxel on Thursday. (H)

Young Strikers Benaulim moved into the quarters of the Anant Deep
Soccer organised by United Club Nerul, scoring a solitary goal
win over Arpora Sporting, at Dr Gustavo Monteiro Stadium, Candolim.(H)

St Rock's Youth Club, Majorda moved into the quarters of the Kingfisher
soccer, defeating Candolim Sports Club 5-0 at Saligao Sporting grounds.

Merces villagers will organise their first all-Goa veterans football
tournament starting from April 11, at Alua grounds.

CULINARY CORNER: Summer special, binn'da (kokum) recipes

Ripe binn'da or kokum (Garcinia indica) fruits are red to dark purple
in colour, with an agreeable flavour and sweet acid taste. Raw green fruits
and ripe ones are used for making different products.

LONAVALA KOKUM: Green, unripe fruit are harvested by beating with
a bamboo stick. Collected fruits are simply cut into halves, keeping the
seeds intact and are sun dried. In Gujarati kitchens, this is used
in culinary preparations.

KOKUM SYRUP: Fresh rind is an antidote against bilious affections
and the syrup is prepared by using rind pieces and sugar (in a ratio
of 1:2). Kokum syrup, on dilution, is a cooling and refreshing natural
drink.

AMSOOL (CONDIMENT): Ripe fruits are cut into two pieces. The
seed and pulp is removed. Juice is extracted from the pulp and salt
is added. The rind is soaked in juice and sun-dried. This dip-dry
process is repeated for seven to eight days. Amsool is used as a
condiment in culinary preparations in Goa and Maharashtra.

KOKUM AGAL: It is a brined concentrate of binn'da or kukum juice.
The juice obtained from fruit pulp is stored by adding salt and
used as a condiment in fish curry. 'Solkadi' is a special food
item in Goa and Sindhudurg, and is made by using kokum agal with
coconut milk, spiced with green chilli and green coriander pieces.

[Courtesy: Karnik, Bhagwat, Raorane and Nadkarni, Dept of Horticulture, Dr
Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth, Dapoli]

WEATHER, ETC IN GOA

Max 34.1 deg C. Min 26.5 deg C. Humidity 81% at 8.30 am and 70% at 5.30 pm.
Forecast light rain or thunder showers. Reports from residents said it
rained in Valpoi (north-eastern Goa) on Thursday.
Sunrise 6.28 am on April 8. Sunset 6.52 pm. Omas ends at 2.02 am night.
April 9, Hindu new year, Sake 1927 begins.

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network:

  ... .   ...    ....   .. ...     ....  .||.    Founded in 1994
.|....'

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.