# Don't just read the news...discuss it. Learn more about Goa via Goanet #
# Goanet was setup in 1994 and has spent the last decade building a      #
# lasting Goan non-profit, volunteer-driven network in cyberspace.       #
# Visit the archives http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/             #
# To join, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask to join Goanet.           #

ii[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      APRIL 9, 2005   DATELINE: GOA
                                       Gudi Padwa, Hindu New Year Day
  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by
||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__||   Frederick Noronha
|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

WHAT'S IN TODAY'S ISSUE: Tributes to the Pope recalls his Konkani sentences.
Cuncolim's controversial housing. World Bank fuels sanitation risks.
Obituaries, sports... and a mango shrikhand recipe.

        o TRIBUTES IN GOA TO POPE marked by reminiscences of the papal visit
          in 1986. He had then said in Konkani: "Mogachea bhava bhoinino,
          mhaka hea tumchea mankulea Goeant eun he misache bhettent vanto
          gheunk khup khushalkai bogta." (My dear brothers and sisters, I am
          delighted to come to your tiny Goa to participate in this
          Eucharistic Celebration.) (H)

        o CONTROVERSIAL CUNCOLIM HOUSING SCHEME hangs in balance, due
          to the change of political guard two months ago. Journalist
          Guilherme Almeida reports that a visit to the housing colony
          site at Panzorconne reveals the development of around 40-odd
          plots. But Housing Board officials say things have come to
          a virtual standstill over the last two months. After the fall
          of the Parrikar-led government, the Congress vowed to scrap
          the housing project as demanded by the local populace.
          Villagers want their age-old football ground to be retained.
          They also don't want their backyard turned into another
          Davorlim or Gogol -- housing colonies swamped by outsiders.(H)

        o WORLD BANK-AIDED PROGRAMME, the Water and Sanitation Programme
          South Asia (WSP-SA) has warned Goa of high health risks
          arising out of ground water contamination due to improper
          sanitation facilities. (H)

        o FORMER CM MANOHAR PARRIKAR accused his former second-in-command
          Digambar Kamat of quitting the BJP  for monetary considerations.
          He was addressing Margao goldsmiths as part of his interactions
          with various groups on Thursday evening, in the run-up to the
          bye-elections. (H)

o Ex-CEO of the Goa Khadi and Village Industries Board J B Singh
  deposes in disqualification case against Siolim MLA Dayanand Mandrekar.(H)
o Convention of senior citizens on Apr 17. There are over 119,000 senior
  citizens in Goa, according to Akbar A Mavany of the Senior Citizens Forum.
o Narvekar envisages Porvorim as an independent town. (H)
o Gram sabha at Sant Estevam on April 10 at 10 am. (H)
o Mormugao Sunni Muslims Federation to hold meet on May 8, 2005 at 10 am
  at Flat 210, Neogi Mansion, Vasco da Gama.
o Anjuna-Caisua village panchayat to hold gram sabha (village council
  meet on April 17 at 10 am to discuss garbage disposal, application of
  comunidade land for garbage dumping, garbage tax, etc.
o Indian Catholic Press Association (ICPA) holds its 11th National
  Convention of Christian Journalists on April 10 at 9 am at Pilar.
o Goa government is undertaking work of demarcating private forests in
  the Mapusa municipal limits.
o Mackies' Saturday night bazaar, today at 6 pm. Near Baga River, Arpora.
o Pulse polio immunisation campaign on April 10, 2005. For every child
  below the age of five years.
o At Martins Corner, tonight, Goa's best musicians -- Fortes Trio with
  Lulu. Emiliano de Cruz (violin, mandolin), Oscar (rhythm), James (drums),
  Ignatius and Franky (keyboards), Gutho (harmonica).
o Mapusa Clinic, near St Britto's at Mapusa, opens its Spandan intensive
  cardiac care unit and Antarang radio-diagnosis unit, open 24 hours.
o Prime property in Anjuna 13850 sq mts with hotel/commercial complex
  and swimming pool with landscaping is being auctioned by the MUCBank.
  Upset price Rs 3.25 crore. (Rs 32.5 million).
o Paulo's starts a new Goa-to-Surat bus service. (GT)
o Chorao sarpanch, deputy sarpanch join Congress. (GT)
o The US$ 262.5 million 'The World' has called at Mormugao port. (GT)
o New shop for new-born baby products: Fatima Baby World, Behind
  Grace Church, Margao.

          Magicians from Goa to hold a one-day meet-cum-get-together at
          Bambolim Beach Resort on April 10. Main guest will be visiting
          magician from England, Jerry Sandier. Contact Magician Dandrake on
          9326 110245 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          REMEDIOS SIMAO DIAS from Sant Inez, Panjim, neither needs a
          trumpet nor a bugle. A plastic pipe is enough for him to create
          music played by a military brass-band and the renditions are no
          different from those played on any of these instruments, writes
          Glacxy Fernandes. (NT)

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

        28-year-old Orissa native Suresh Kumar Das was crushed to
        death in a road mishap on the Bicholim bridge on Friday. (H)

        An unknown coconut plucker, aged between 50 to 55, believed
        to be from Dharbandora, Ponda, lost his balance, fell and
        subsequently died, while climbing a coconut tree at Mala. (H)

        55-year-old Marian Gracias of Malkarnem, Sanguem drowned in
        the Beilapur river at Sanguem. (H)

CAVELOSSIM: Rosinha Maria Rebelo, b 1922. Wife of late Eustaquio,
mother/in-law of Jose/Martha, Amelia/Antonio, Justino/Fina, Gracy/
late Emeliano, Sotera/Marcelino, Fr Eremito (Rector-Blessed Joseph
Vaz Shrine, Sancoale), Gilbert/Ezula and late Raimundo/Anita.
Funeral at 4 pm Apr 9 to Holy Cross Church, Cavelossim.

LOUTOLIM-ZINA, VANXEM: Ermilina Alves, b 1942. Wife of Jose Francisco
M Alves (ExI/Master-MPT), mother/in-law of Nazareth/Milagrina, Antonio/
Rita, Rosario, Sebastiao, Antonetta/Albert D'Silva, late Custodio D Alves,
grandmum of Franklino, Alvia, Alinda. Funeral April 9 at 4 pm to
Saviour of the World Church, Loutolim.

GOA SPORTS

East Bengal tops the National football league with 33 points from 15
matches. Sporting Clube de Goa is second with 32 points (16 matches).
Next comes Dempo in third place (31 points, 15 matches). Fransa is fifth,
Salgaocar eighth, Churchill Bros tenth and Vasco eleventh in the
dozen-strong premier competitive soccer network in India.

        o FC Siolim 1-0 over Raitura SC at Candolim grounds.
        o St Rock's Majorda 1-0 over Friends XI Vaddem at Saudi Cup, Siolim
        o Nerul SC 6-4 over S Minguel de Taleigao in Kingfisher soccer
        o Don Bosco Oratory, Fatorda in 4th Seamens quarters, defeating
          St Anthony's SC Colva 3-2 via the tie-breaker.
        o Sangolda Lightening Club AGM postponed from April 10.
        o Dando Boys Benaulim to hold U14 and U16 selections.
        o Cricket tourneys at Pirna and Arpora.
        o Chicalim panchayat to hold 4th inter-ward football from Apr 10.

CULINARY CORNER: MANGO SHRIKHAND

MANGO SHRIKHAND. Ingredients -- 1/2 kg curd. 1/4 cup thick mango pulp. 300
gms sugar. 1/2 tsp cardamon powder. Few strands of saffron. 1/2 tbsp Pista
or almond crushed.

Method -- Tie curd in a clean muslin cloth overnight (6-7 hours). Take into
a bowl, add sugar and mix. Keep aside for 25-30 minutes to allow sugar to
dissolve. Rub saffron into 1 tbsp milk till well broken and dissolved. Keep
aside. Beat well till sugar has fully dissolved into curd. Pass through a
big-holed strong strainer, pressing with hand or spatula. Mix in cardamon
powder, mango pulp and dissolve saffron and half nuts. Empty into a glass
serving-bowl, top with remaining nut crush. Chill for 1-2 hours before
serving. (Herald)

WEATHER, ETC IN GOA

April 9, Hindu new year, Sake 1927 begins. And with it, the weather
changed for the better after just under a week of sweltering heat and
humidity.

Yahoo reported Saturday night temperatures at 28degC. Sunday high is
expected at 29degC. Yahoo's temperatures however differ from the minimum and
maximum recorded officially at Altinho by the Met Office. Friday's max at
the Met Office was 34 deg C and minim 27 deg C. Humidity was 85% by day and
66% at night.

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network:

  ... .   ...    ....   .. ...     ....  .||.    Founded in 1994
.|....'

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.