--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "J. Almeida" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>Dear Santosh,
>
>As a scientist I am interested in refutation of error.
>Either a conjecture is refuted or it is not. If you
>can unequivocally refute the factual claims relating
>to the death of the historical Jesus, then I urge you
>to take up the matter with historical experts. Present
>your unequivocal and compelling evidence in
>refutation, take the consensus of historical
>scholarship with you, and I will join you gladly.
>Attempting refutation of conjectures through
>compelling evidence is Scientific Method. The rest is
>not.
>

Dear Joel:

I think you have it all backwards, perhaps to defensively position 
yourself on what you thought was strategically a higher ground. 

It is you who said that your religious belief is based on "carefully 
weighing the logic and evidence", by following "the scientific 
method". As far as I am concerned, I have always maintained that 
religious belief is based on faith. I do not consider that the 
supernatural events surrounding the life of Jesus or any other 
saintly human being amount to a testable scientific hypothesis, even 
in the limited and esoteric Popperian sense. The conjecture that you 
are asking me to refute is not falsifiable at all, and therefore, 
utterly unscientific.

The value of religion resides precisely in the fact that it is based 
on faith, because it gives believers something to cling to in spite 
of contrary evidence, in times of need.

Best Regards,

Santosh

P.S.: And by the way, I do not want to convert you to my way of 
thinking. I merely want you think about what I am saying, and then 
choose to agree or disagree. Actually, if you knew me personally you 
would have realized that I would like you more if you disagreed with 
me.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-W-E-B---S-I-T-E-=-=-=
 To Subscribe/Unsubscribe from GoaNet  |  http://www.goacom.com/goanet
===================================================================
 For (un)subscribing or for help, Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Dont want so many e=mails?  Join GoaNet-Digest instead !
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Help support non-commercial projects in Goa by advertizing!!
        *               *               *               *
                        Your ad here !!

Reply via email to