Recently I came across an artilce "At Donna Georgina's by William Dalrymple. The article can be seen in full at:

URL: http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art_45.html

What I found intriguing is the very first paragraph, which goes as follows:

Most Goans still consider their state a place apart: a cultured Mediterranean island, quite distinct from the rest of India. As they quickly let you know, they eat bread, not chapattis; drink in tavernas, not tea shops; many of them were Roman Catholic, not Hindu; and their musicians played guitars and sang fados. None of them, they assured you, could stand the sound of sitars or shenai.

Perhaps Dalrymple is using the word 'island' in a figurative sense, and not geographical one. So, one can give some sort of artisitic licence to this. But the rest seems to be so out of character of the people, including the Catholics, that I know. I would be interested to know if anyone on this net did meet Dalrymple when he came to Goa to write the article.

Also, does anyone on the list agree with the characterisation of the Catholics that Dalrymple has made?

A slightly related question. I understand that the population of Christians in Goa, as per the 2001 census, is around 21%. Is this correct? And does anyone have any data on the religious composition of the population in Goa?

Sachin.

_________________________________________________________________
Over 6,70,000 brides and grooms. http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Click here to join for free.



##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #
##########################################################################

Reply via email to