Subject: [Goanet]"An interesting article by Dalrymple."

> Recently I came across an artilce "At Donna Georgina's by  William
> Dalrymple.  The article can be seen in full at:
>
> URL: http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art_45.html
>
> What I found intriguing is the very first paragraph, which goes as
follows:
>
> Most Goans still consider their state a place apart: a cultured
> Mediterranean island, quite distinct from the rest of India. As they
quickly
> let you know, they eat bread, not chapattis; drink in tavernas, not tea
> shops; many of them were Roman Catholic, not Hindu; and their musicians
> played guitars and sang fados. None of them, they assured you, could stand
> the sound of sitars or shenai.



RESPONSE:

He (Dalrymple) probably interviewed the three '' C's '' (Colacos). If you
speak
to the ordinary Brit tourist they will concur. Are they wrong? I don't think
so
Christmas in Goa is the most expensive Season for Foreign Tourists. I don't
think they are out for anything but a good time including lots of booze and
fun - predominantly Catholic frolics! I would challenge any Minister
including
the C.M. to curb these activities. If he does he can begin with the lavish
parties
thrown during the Season by the Salgaokars ! Whom I believe are a
predominant
Hindu family. Also has the C.M. the might to tackle the big hoteliers? Or
will he
be persuaded to be bought off?

The rest is just garnishing - the Catholics are not many just  21 percent
and
getting smaller. I have not been to a fado affair in Goa yet! Some one
please
tell me where I might get entertained by these extraordinare crooners.

cheers,

Gabe Menezes. Wimbledon et Asnora.

P.S. It is time we started to challenge the I.I.T. upstart!





##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #   
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #  
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #
##########################################################################

Reply via email to