Alfred Rose's death is definitely a big loss to
Konkani music. Though I enjoyed some of his songs,
many of his tunes were borrowed from English
favourties and, hence, lost its intrinsic value.
Having seen him perform since my young days, I was
amazed at the quality of his voice. His records were
popular and he enjoyed tremendous popularity.
He loved racy tunes, unlike the soft melodies like his
fellow tiartists. The husband-wife duo was impressive
but not remarkable.
I remember when he came from somewhere in the Middle
East after a long absence from the Konkani stage with
a tiatr, Bhangaracho Hotti, he was back in form. The
tiatr wasn't great, but his songs were appreciated.
One thing that I found amazing was the Rita's
wardrobe. She wore dazzling dresses, obviously bought
overseas. It seemed like a one-woman fashion show.
I think I carried a letter from Jerome Mendes's
brother in England to Rose. After meeting him at his
shop in Mahim, he took me to his house near the Canosa
Convent.
I never really knew him well as I did other tiatrists
in Mumbai. One of the reasons was he was not seen much
in Dhobitalao, especially at either the Kyani or
Bastani restaurants.
I did meet him once or twice at his shop in Mahim when
I went there to visit some relatives.
I met him again in Toronto where he performed. He was
visiting his son in the US and decided to come to
Canada for a short visit.
He did character roles in tiatrs, but he never
impressed me. The role of the batkar suited him, but
he was never as good as, say, Cyriaco.
I remember he also did romantic roles, perhaps in his
own tiatrs, but he failed to do justice to them.
Overall, he was one of the main pillars of Goan
entertainment. Konkani music will be much poorer
without him. He tried to combine Louis Armstrong,
Elvis and Engelbert Humperdinck all in one in his
musical persona.
He would be best remembered for his Konkani
translation of the Ladainha and the Happy Birthday,
once a favourite at birthday parties in Goan homes.
A bright star whose departure from the Goan horizon
has darkened the world of Konkani music.
May his soul rest in peace.

Eugene Correia