--- Santosh Helekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hi Filomena: > > As usual, I am merely trying to state what I > understand to be the > modern scientific view about research and > reliability of > treatments. As I may have mentioned to you before, I > am not interested > in the contest between the east and the west. When I > talk about > research in relation to determining the efficacy and > reliability of a > particular form of treatment, I mean scientific > research using the > objective scientific method. I submit to you that > not one of the > treatments of Ayurveda has been subjected to such > research. I have > access to all the databases of medical research > before me here on this > computer. I cannot find one scientifically validated > ayurvedic > treatment against any disease anywhere. Please don't > misunderstand me. > I am not saying that some practices such as yoga and > meditation may > not be effective at all. I am merely stating that > none of these > practices have been scientifically validated as an > effective treatment > against any disease."
Santosh, I am a layperson, not medical scientist. But definitions have to be made before a valid discussion can be held. I do not know what the parameters of "scientific research using the objective scientific method" is. So I can't counter your assertion that there are no such studies on ayurvedic treatments. Modern interest in Ayurveda is relatively new. Long-term studies are probably only now under way. I do know that many diseases cannot be effectively treated by any kind of medicine. Take the common cold, diabetes, blood pressure, or heart disease, to name a few. There is no "cure" for these, although there may be one on the horizon for Type I diabetes. They can only be managed if that is what you mean by "effective treatment." Ayurveda is a system of its own that says that disease is caused by toxins and imbalances in the doshas. To keep healthy, one's nutrition has to be good, balanced, and toxins have to be effectively eliminated. Many of the herbs it uses have been studied, e.g. neem in blood sugar control. The U.N. has a program of planting neem trees all over the world because it provides cheap treatments for many conditions for the world's poor. If someone in the western scientific community had not studied this botanical, it's highly unlikely that the U.N. would undertake this. Lately, I believe Monsanto tried to patent neem. Last year, I read (only on Yahoo news, alas...) that a study in Sweden found that turmeric, very widely used in Ayurveda, is the second best antioxidant, after blueberries. Pumpkin seeds, recommended in ayurveda and other alternative health practices, have now found their way into western formulas for prostrate health. Does this qualify for "effective treatment?" Is Ayurvedic oil massage "effective treatment" for stroke victims? I agree entirely that modern research into ayurvedic treatments is necessary. It is being done by westerners who have a healthy respect for alternative systems of health practice. But we can't simply discount them as totally "unscientific" or discount the evidence of a good measure of success in keeping our ancestors well and healthy. Filomena > ########################################################################## > # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] > # > # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), > and avoid top-posts # > # More details on Goanet at > http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # > # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to > reflect respect to others # > ########################################################################## __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
