In a message dated 12/6/2003 11:52:17 PM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: > >There is a danger of making small changes to someone's post that may >not reflect the intent of the author. I think that this is a case >where we cannot possibly see eye to eye. You take the position that >Ayurveda is a deception and a form of quackery that has no proven >treatments. >
Hi Filomena: Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding of your position with regard to validation of Ayurvedic treatments. I apologize for having to state your views in my own words because of the length of our posts. So now let me correct your misunderstanding of my position. Yes, I do contend that Ayurveda "has no proven treatments". But, NO, I do NOT "take the position that Ayurveda is a deception and a form of quackery". I know this would surprise you and others. However, my reason for holding this view is very simple. Ayurveda is not a deception or quackery for the same reason that Aristotle is not a crackpot or a conman. Ayurveda is one of mankind's first attempts to understand and address issues about human health and sickness. If it had been allowed to take its natural and rational course, it would have evolved into something that perfectly resembles modern medicine, which might have even advanced beyond our present state today. I am certain that the latter statement would make it clear to you why I compared Ayurveda with Aristotle. In short, both were pre-scientific, and wrong in many ways, but nonetheless, giant leaps in the realm of human intellectual achievement. The trouble is its use today is atavistic - a throwback to an earlier time - unless its treatments are validated using the scientific method. Using my earlier analogy, it is like using Aristolean "pre- physics" to build space rockets, ignoring all the developments in physics over the past 500 years. I also do NOT take the position that we ought to ban or get rid of Ayurveda entirely. I think there is some chance that a few of its treatments might actually help some people suffering from chronic diseases, psychosomatic diseases, hypochondriasis and hysterical illnesses, i. e. conditions in which psychological factors play a role. However, whether this is actually true or not can only be found out by testing these treatments with the scientific method. Cheers, Santosh ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
