If anyone could help Mohan Prabhu, kindly do so. I guess the website he's referring to is soc.culture.indian.goa or goanet. FN
On Thu, 29 May 2003, mohan prabhu wrote: > DearMr. Noronha: > I understand from one of my Konkani speaking friends > in Kingston (Ontario), who was informed by his brother > in law in Montreal, that you moderate a new website > called New Goa, with discussion groups, contributors > of articles related to Goa and her culture, language, > etc. > Would you kindly give me the full contact address of > the website. > My mother tongue is Konkani of which I still have a > good deal of knowledge and facility despite the fact > that I have lived more than 40 years in the UK, USA > and in Canada. I used to write the language in > Kannada script but over the years I forgot many of the > alphabets, so I took a refresher course > (self-administered) by studying the > Konkani-English/English-Konkani dictionary published > more than a century ago by Fr. A.F.X. Maffei, who was > at that time with St. Aloysius College in Mangalore. > I read the entire dictionary and made a lot of notes > and from these notes I have prepared a condensed > version, which has about 3,000 English words (with > Konkani meanings) and an equal number of Konkani words > (with English meanings. I have not used the Kannada > script, rather used the English script and because I > did not have the fonts to represent various sounds, I > have to the best of my ability converted them into > English equivalents. > I would like to share my work with Konkani speakers, > especially those who have forgotten their own script > (whether it be Kannada, Marathi or Malayalam) but > still retain a good deal of knowledge of the language. > > The dictionary can of course be expanded with > contribution of words from readers. > Please let me know if this would be of interest to > you. I look forward to hearing from you in due course. > If you are intrested, I shall with my next e-mail > attach the first few pages (Introduction, table of > contents, guide to the use of Konkani sounds, etc.) as > well as the first page of the vocabulary. > Thank you. > Mohan Prabhu, QC > Ottawa, Canada > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM). > http://calendar.yahoo.com > -- ------------------------------------------------------------------- March 2004 | Frederick Noronha, Freelance Journalist Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa | Goa India 0091.832.2409490 or 2409783 1 2 3 4 5 6 | ---------------------------------------- 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Email fred at bytesforall.org 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 | Writing with a difference 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 | ... on what makes *the* difference 28 29 30 31 | http://www.bytesforall.org ------------------------------------------------------------------- ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
