Fr Loiola Pereira forwarded this via me so that it doesn't have the non-ASCII characters when circulated via Goanet. I hope I'm more successful. FN
---------- Forwarded message ---------- Now, I would like that the message below, IN PLAIN TEXT again, should reach the Goanet subscribers without any 'alterations.' That's why I am sending it to your mail box first, with a request that you send it to the Goanet. (And please tell me how I should avoid such accidental alterations in future. The troubl). Dear All, I have been asked to help out in a project that aims at highlighting the life and works of Abbe Faria, in anticipation of his 250th birth anniversary that will begin the next year. I would be grateful for any help in this connection, viz. any bibliography on Abbe Faria in English, Portuguese and French languages, any little known details of his life, etc. In fact, I believe that sharing of information about this Candolim-born great son of Goa in this forum would help all of us grow in admiration for one who is, to our great chagrin, mistakenly referred to in some European history books and encyclopedias as "a Portuguese monk!" Specifically, I would like to know if there is any historical evidence to a story I heard from a well-read gentleman of my village, now deceased. He told me Abbe Faria had once thrown an open challenge to Mesmer (or to one of his disciples?) in Paris, whereby they would try to hypnotize each other in public, the winner being, obviously, the one who would outdo the other. And, reportedly, Abbe Faria emerged victorious from the mental duel. I am yet to find a written account of this story. On the other hand, I don't believe my respected deceased Friend fabricated a piece of fiction. Will someone throw any light on the matter? Thanks, in advance. Fr. J. Loiola Pereira ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
