# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

.

>2. When NASA began the launch of astronauts into space, they found out that
the pens wouldn't work at zero gravity (Ink won't flow down to the writing
>surface).In order to solve this problem, it took them one decade and $12

And hear this one:
During a recent space flight of NASA, the rocket just wouldn't take off.
Everything was arranged, all the chief guest and everyone had come, and
here the rocket is not taking off. There was panic in the NASA camp. They
didnt know what to do.

At this time, from the crowd, came a Goan guy who was on an H-1 visa doing
some programming work for NASA. The NASA director first ignored him thinking what
this Java programmer can do. But then the Goan guy insisted he can solve
the problem of why NASA rocket is not taking off.

Finally, after much deliberations among the team, and more out of sheer helplessness
and to save his face, the NASA director
decided to give this guy a chance. After all, the rocket was not taking off
and all efforts by NASA engineers were in vain.

So, they all huddled in one corner and let the
Java programmer speak. After some thought, the Java programmer told the
director  that the rocket needs to be tilted to about 45 degrees for the
take-off. No one believed him; but what to do? There was no choice; the
rocket was anyway not taking off and NASA's reputation was at stake. Besides,
the whole
show was live on national TV.

So, they agreed to do as the Java Programmer wanted. The shuttle was tilted
to 45 degrees as per our man's wishes and every one waited with bated
breath.

9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...... and take off...and to everyone's surprise
fumes started coming off, and zoom,
the rocket did take off.

Everyone was completed zapped.
A Goan Java programmer had saved NASA's day, and perhaps the NASA director's job
too.

The TV crew -- ABC, NBC, what not --- all gathered round our Java programmer.
Asked him how he knew this.

Our man thought for a while and responded:

it is as simple as this. In Goa, when our scooter doesn't start, we tilt it
by 45 degrees, and start it!

Cheers,
Samir Kelekar