Hello Nasci, I agree with your writings. It's the Hindutva mentality that we have carried on with us for generations, in spite of changing the religions, whether Christianity or Islam. Dowry taking has been the customs of Hindutva, and its practiced even by those converted only in the Asian region (Christians and Muslims ) As far as I know Muslims in middle east pay dowry to the woman, but it's the other way in our region ( India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh) former one country.
Many a times I am asked why we nod our heads for yes, no or whatever, and I have no answer for that, which I presume to be the Baratnatyam style of shaking and this is mostly done only by our region. These customs are imbibed in us for generations and like you, I too ask, is it possible to get rid of these disease? Jerry Message: 8 From: "Nasci Caldeira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [email protected], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: RE: [Goanet]Re: Sending off a protest mail - Fr. Prasad Gonsalves Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:31:55 +1100 Reply-To: [email protected] George, With reference to part reproduced below, I support you fully, when U say: the silence is deafening and hypocritical. However; u will also agree that 'sending off an e-mail protest' alone is not enough. Something more, much more and more effective endeavour and solutions are required. After all, in India the e-mail system and cyber space availability is still only available with a few rich, in spite of Mario G. shouting from the roof tops: that India is the fourth largest economy in the world. The last time I was in Goa, I found all of my friends who I thought had PCs and internet connections at home; only went to the cyber cafes to read e-mail etc; and the 'speed' was awfully slow. Also the pseudo "Dalit-seperation" system, also is and yet prevailing in Goa, more so in all the villages. In all villages, the 'Gaocares' think and behave like as though have 'Brahmin and or Kshatriya' inheritence; when actually they are inheriting a lower caste. The Kunbi catholics and other 'kapod' wearing people take their place in churches segregated from the gaocares and other 'Ladies and Gentlemen'?? The non gaocares are not allowed to "celebrate " the main feast of the Church Name. They are given the option of celebrating other minor feasts, (not then patronised by the gaocares) in the parish calendar. We still have a long way to go, before these segregation type evils are removed from Indian society. When people are struggling with their own segregations, they pehaps do not have the appetite to dwell in the protests currently being discussed!! I wonder if Indians and the country as a whole, ever will; since these discriminatory attitudes and segregation have been part of Indian society for centuries, for far too long; there is even segregation between non vege and vege appetites. How ridiculous!! thanks to the greatest 'evil' in the evil Hindutva culture that we all Indians inherit. So how do we as a people or society get rid of this evil from permaeating in the public domain. They can be allowed and tolerated to abide by their caste in the privacy of their own homes and in marriages etc. That is everyone's individual right. Only the public stance and effects have to be removed. Any ideas George, and other interested groups and individuals?? Nasci Caldeira Melbourne.
