--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3rd Annual Konkan Fruit Fest, Goa - May 6-8, 2005 |
| |
| Today's Events include Mango Eating Competition, Fruit carving and |
| Cultural Programs. Check out http://konkanfruit.swiki.net | -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gilbert Lawrence wrote to Fr. Ivo:
"Your other post today strongly suggest that you "just have not got it" how serious the US Catholic Church (i.e. us) is both morally and fiscally becasue of a handful of negligent / careless / criminal priests. Perhaps as a Goan you do not appreciate what it means for a diocese to declare BANKRUPTCY. "


-----

Dear Gilbert,

As a Goan I do not appreciate what it means for a diocese to declare bankruptcy. Could you please educate me? I vaguely know that the Catholic Church in USA had to pay out in millions to victims of child abuse by priests. That made many parishes bankrupt. But surely that cannot happen in Goa? The physical properties of the Church are owned by the Fabrica and if I'm not mistaken these properties cannot be sold without the explicit permission of the representative parishioners. I could be mistaken of course.

But if a child abuse victim in Goa does sue a priest it would be that priest's individual responsibility to prove his innocence and pay any compensation if proven guilty. I am sure the Church will not be obliged to shell out any money under Indian law. So there's no question of bankruptcy, of the monetary kind, threatening the Catholic Church in Goa. Or am I not seeing something here?

Cecil

====


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* G * O * A * N * E * T *** C * L * A * S * S * I * F * I * E * D * S *
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Make your mother in Goa happy on Mothers' Day. http://www.goa-world.com/goa/expressions/mothersday/


Limited "Mother's Happiness" packages. First come, first serve.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to