G o a n e t * News Bytes In Brief * July 13, 2005

          MONSOON UDPATE: After a wet day on Monday and a
          fairly rain-struck day on Tuesday, Wednesday was
          quite dry... a break in the midst of the monsoons.

o Goa assembly speaker Francisco Sardinha late Wednesday, in
  an interim order, restrained United Goans Democratic Party
  MLA Matanhy Saldanha from voting in Thursday's election for
  Goa's lone Rajya Sabha (upper house of parliament) seat.
  Digitalgoa.com's breaking news service via mobile.

o Goa Cabinet decides to introduce Smart Card driving licences.
  Debate is on whether smart card licences should be mandatory
  for all involved. System is being deviced where a person's
  license would be suspended, and then cancelled, if s/he
  committed a total of ten offences. (Herald)

o Police sub-inspector Jivba Dalvi's disproportionate assets
  valued at Rs 600,000. (H) Photo in the Herald shows what
  the paper calls his "imposing Ravanfond residence" at Margao.

o Decks are being cleared for the appointment of Congress
  legislators as chairmen of government-run corporations
  and other government-bodies. Governor Jamir has signed an
  ordinance giving an immunity to legislators from
  disqualification, upon their appointment as chairmen of various
  (state-funded) government bodies. (H)

          THEIR POUND OF FLESH: Herald reports that the
          Congress Legislature Party has strongly urged the
          Rane government to "immediately clear" all
          pending applications of the Dayanand Social Security
          Scheme (DSSS), to lift the ban on the conversion
          of land, to reduce the no-development area along
          either side of NH 17 from 75 metres to 40 metres, and
          in general to expedite all "pending development works".

o Police arrested former Mayem sarpanch Sakharam Pednekar
  on charges of misappropriation of Rural Dvpt Agency funds.H
o Paulo Travels is offering passengers a chance to book their
  ticket from home in advance. It's offering "for the first time"
  morning departures to Surat, Mumbai, Pune, Kolhapur, Belgaum.
o Alcon Victor Group has shifted its corporate offices to
  Alcon Chambers, above Thomas Cook, D B Marg, Panjim.
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] and http://www.alconvictorgroup.com
o Thythm House, the music shop, opens at Margao. Below City
  Hospital, Opposite Meenaxi Hotel.
o Airtel offers a mobile telephone service for Rs 200 per month.
  Rs 50 talktime. 30 day valadity. Free incoming calls.
o Vasco to feature children who lovemusic below 19 at
  Mormugao Port Institute, July 17 at 10.30 am. (H)
o UK-based Leonard Cheshire International which supports the
  disabled with hold a global alliance meet at Kennilworth,
  Utorda from July 13 to 15. (H)
o Goa assembly's monsoon session from August 11, for a month.
  Budget to be adopted during this session.
o Bravery lies in the eye of the beholder: Journalist Reuven
  Proenca criticises the discriminatory policies of the Goa
  police, which makes it easier for seniors to get bravery
  awards, while junior policemen have to struggle for it. (GT)

          LOOK WHO'S OFFERING to tend your money. Another
          panel contesting the Mapusa Urban Cooperative
          Bank elections on July 17. Called the Navjeevan
          Sahakar Panel (Youth Coop Panel) it's headed by
          politician Ramakant Khalap, and includes businessman
          Babi Bagkar, ex-Mapusa civic chief Michael Carrasco,
          businessman Gurudas Natekar, teacher Gurudas Gauns,
          businessman Jagdish Verekar, businessman Ramesh
          Pankar, architect (and son-in-law of the deputy CM)
          Tulio de N Souza and advocate Upendra Timble.
          Some on the list describe themselves as social workers.

o Pomburpa roads, spring to get a facelift, promises Narvekar.H
o Assonora assured more water supply. (H)
o 84 renal failure cases identified in Canacona. (H)
o Bank of Punjab may be amalgamated with Centurion Bank.
  Extraordinary meet on Aug 3 at Hotel Mandovi, 11 am.
o Centurion Bank is looking out for branch heads in Goa, and
  relationship managers (retail banking), also for Goa.
o Chandrakant Keni in Sunaparant: Swalamban hoch Goenchea
  vikasacho paryay!

Education issues:

o MBBS and BDS seats to be de-reserved as per Directorate of Technical
  Education details. (H)

o Vrundavan Hospital, run by Dr Digambar Naik of Nerul at Mapusa,
  has announced the launch of the Vrundavan Institute of Nursing
  Education, near the Hero Honda Showroom, Alto Porvorim. The
  hospital at Mapusa is also offering a course in 'paramedical
  technology'.

o Muhtifund, Panjim, to hold seminar for drop-out students and
  their parents on July 16. (NT)

o Out of every 10 students (who join primary school) only one
  makes it to graduation. Some drop out at the primary level,
  some at the secondary level and others even halfway during
  graduation, according to Mushtifund Saunstha president
  Anil Counto and secretary Suhas Sardesai. (GT)

o 200 students undertake a long distance walk in Panjim, to
  "create awareness of issues related to population education".GT

o College students say bye-bye to umbrellas. They seem to
  prefer raincoats and jackets. (Sunaparant)

Quote, unquote:

Thank you for your absolutely truthful and honest reports on the total
white wash and shirking of responsibility that our local MLA is
attempting. To wash his soiled hands off the complete mess in
Panjim city -- his constituency -- thanks to his unplanned, shabbily
executed and then totally neglected cosmetic make-up of the
city, is, to say the least, utterly shameful. -- Annand V
Madgaykar, Panjim.

National and international news:

o Mumbai diocese favours dress code in churches. A priest lamented
  that it had become common for people to come in for prayers in
  t-shirts and jeans and minis. (UNI, Mumbai)

Deaths:

APRORA: Casmiro D'Souza (Blueman de Arpora), exBahrain,
exOman Navy Muscat-Maniat Bhatti, Arpora.
ANJUNA: Julia Gomes Pereira do Carmo e Souza, b 1909
BETALBATIM: Magdalena Rogtao Correia, b 1922
DASTUR MEHER ROAD: Sophie Leitao. Funeral for St Xavier's Church.
MARGAO: Maria Piedade Rodrigues of Jackson Bar, Borda b 1943.
VASCO: Gregorio Francisco Inacio Goes of Hospedaria &
Bar Goes of Vasco. Father/in-law of Greffy/Gilbert (UK),
Gilma/Remy, Neves/Flocy (UK), Gerson/Dielle (UK).

Sports:

Cuncolim Union entered the finals of the McDowell's 32nd
Bandodkar Memorial soccer defeating Arpora Sporting 4-2 via
the tie-breaker. (H)

Sao Jose de Areal overcame a stiff challenge from Goa Velha
Sports Club, to score a 2-1 win and enter the semis of the
Engineer Sebastiao Dias soccer at Curtorim. (H)

CYA Mobor upset Maina SC Curtorim 3-2, tie-breaker, to enter
the quarters of the Benaulim villagers soccer. (H)

CULINARY CORNER *

MEAT CURRY POWDER: 200 gms dry chillies, 200 gms coriander, 50 gms
pepper, 100 gms kuskus, 50 gms jira, 50 gms tumeric, 15 cloves, 6
cinnamon pieces, 50 gms mustard.

Dry in the sun and powder fine and bottle. 1 desert-spoon for 1/2 kg
of meat curry. Coconut juice may be added for the curry.

FISH CURRY POWDER: 200 gms dry chillies, 200 gms coriander, 50 gms
jira, 50 gms tumeric.

Dry and powder fine and bottle. 1 desert-spoon of this curry
powder for 1/4 kg of fish. Add coconut juice. (Source: The Chef, by
Isidore Coelho, Better Yourself Books, ISBN 81-7108-230-0 Rs 175)

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 http://www.creativecommons.org You may
reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch.