[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

       /                                         d8   Founded in
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ 1994 by
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Herman
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   Carneiro
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
   http://www.goanet.org * Building social capital.

---   GOANET NEWS HEADLINES * APRIL 25, 2006 * DATELINE GOA ----

  SEEKING YOUR VIEWS, RIGHT TO VOTE FOR NRIs: The Represen-
  tation of the People (Amendment) Bill 2006, introduced on
  Feb 27, 2006, has been introduced with a limited purpose to
  give the right to vote to non-resident Indians. Says an
  official ad: "The Government feels that conferring such (a)
  right will enable them to participate in the democratic
  process of elections in their motherland and will also
  boost their involvement in nation building." Indian
  citizens living abroad due to employment, aeduation or
  other reason, will be able to get their names registered in
  the electoral rolls of their constituency of ordinary
  residence in India, had they been in India. They *may* also
  be able to contest elections. A committee has been set up
  under E.M.Sudarsana Natchiappan, MP to examine the issue
  and report on it. Those interested in submitting memoranda
  may send two copies (in English or Hindi) to R B Gupta,
  Deputy Secretary, Rajya Sabha Secretariat, Room 005, Ground
  Floor, Parliament House Annexe, New Delhi 110001 (tel
  0091.11.23034056 and fax 0091.11.23794328 email
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] State if you would like to give oral
  evidence. All submissions will be treated as confidential.
  The bill can be downloaded from the website
  http://rajyasabha.nic.in -- see under Bills with the
  Committee.

o RANE COMMITTEE SEEKS six-month extention, to look into
  "all the aspects" related to the construction of a new
  airport at Mopa. (GT)

          GREEN SIGNAL FOR NEW traffic plan for Panjim. The
          current arrangement for entering and exiting Panjim
          around Pato has caused inconvenience to commuters.
          CCP commissioner Sanjit Rodrigues said the old
          Patto bridge would be used to exit from Panjim and
          the two new Patto bridges will be used to enter and
          exit the city. (GT)

          GOA TO STRIKE DEAL for waste disposal: In an
          interesting development, Goa and Maharashtra have
          entered into a trans-border agreement for the
          disposal of hazardous industrial waste at a
          site identified in Southern Maharashtra. Goa
          State Pollution Control Board says the state
          generates 9972 metric tonnes of hazardous
          industrial wastes per annum. (H)

          STATE'S FIRST FOUR-LANE BRIDGE TURNS TOP KILLER:
          They jostled to cut the ribbons and went public
          to claim credit for Goa's first four-lane bridge
          at RAwanfond. A year later, the Rawanfond Bridge
          appears no longer in the scheme of things of
          politicians of all hues, as the bridge has
          virtually turned into a death-trap and a traffic
          bottleneck. (H)

o Manoj Keni elected Ponda municipal chairman.(DigitalGoa.com)
o Six-lane expressway highway consultants to be named soon.
o Seminar on gender sensitive and rights-based media
  reporting begins in Goa on Monday. (GT)
o New premises of Goa Handicrafts Rural & SSI DC at Neoginagar.
o Ministers, GPCC core committee to meet at least once a month.
o Chief minister Rane, Ravi Naik to "work together". (GT)
o Sanquelim panchayat poll on April 30. (GT)
o Margao firemen demoed fire-fighting at Pimpalkatta.(GT)
o Cortalim-Quelossim gram sabha on Apr 30 at 9.15 am.GT
o 3 staff suspended for Sada jailbreak. (NT)
o Government offers subsidy to Konkani/Marathi film producers.NT
o Yashaswini scheme for self-help groups launched. (NT)
o Camorlim (Salcete) plagued by hassles for birth certificates.
o Legal notices (NT) dispute ownership of M/s Anderson Marine.
o People won't allow food park,golf course: Naqueri sarpanchH
o Goa opposes Ingo Grill's plea to inspect deportation file
o Five Portuguese movies to be screened from April 25. (H)
o Menino Afonso photography courses to be held in May. (H)

          Family of late Ulo Raghu Kunkokar has made a
          mundkar (homestead tenant) applicant against
          "unknown legal heirs" of Dr Alberto Pedro Afonso
          and Maria Jubeda Afonso of Amarai, Taleigao. Case
          to be heard on May 10, at 10.30am in their absence
          "in default of appearance". (GT)

o Integrated disease surveillance project launched in Goa.GT
o Blood donation camp, Old Goa panchayat Apr 30 morning. GT

o World Book Day at Central Library, Apr 27, 10.30 am. (NT)
o Sadanand Shirgaonkar, a graduate in his 40s, gets
  paid only Rs 400 per month as temporary librarian
  at Dongri in St Andre Constituency. He is fighting
  cerebral palsy too. (H)
o Goa Union of Journalists elections on May 6. (H)
o Seminar on careers in travel and tourism, Nova Goa, Apr 29.
o Dempe alumni held at Hotel Mandovi. Forms for membership
  and alumni magazine from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (GT)
o Margao Asst District Educational Inspector (ADEI) building,
  formerly known as Escola Commercial, in bad shape. (GT)
o Goa University Bachelor of Business Administration to be
  started at three colleges -- SV's Caculo College, Mapusa;
  MES College, Vasco and Rosary College, Navelim. Admission
  via the common entrance test of the UGAT by the All India
  Management Association, New Delhi. (GT)

          CHECK YOUR NAME IN THE ELECTORAL ROLLS:
          http://electionsgoa.nic.in has complete Electoral
          Roll details (with voters name/age/house number
          etc.) online. If you wish to search for your name
          type the following in www.google.com:
          firstname surname site:http://electionsgoa.nic.in

          You will then be pointed to a PDF file containing
          your name (assuming it's included). For instance,
          electionsgoa.nic.in/ceo-admin/reports/Margao/
          AC30_23/part23.pdf which is where you are listed

QUOTE... UNQUOTE: The recent hike in the CCP (Corporation of
the City of Panjim) garbage collection cess has raised an
opposition from hotel owners. The cess earlier charged by the
CPP was Rs 300 per month, which was increased to around Rs
1500 per month and above, depending on the category the hotel
or restaurant was classified in. They are demanding a
reduction in the garbage collection cess. -- Sanjith
Rodrigues, CCP Commissioner.

QUOTE... UNQUOTE: Tiatrist Tomazinho Cardozo said that on
April 24, the first Konkani film 'Mogacho Aunddo' was
released and screened in Mapusa, 56 years back, but sadly
today we do not have a single print of this film so that we
could screen this movie on this auspicious day. -- Report in
Gomantak Times.

          QUOTE... UNQUOTE: Churchill is opposing Mopa to
          please hotel lobby. -- Deshprabhu.
          Deshprabhu has land interests worth Rs 400 crore
          (Rs 4000 million) in supporting Mopa. -- Churchill
          Quoted in DigitalGoa.com

LOUTOLIM CHANGES LAND-USE: In an unprecedented move, the
Loutolim Comunidade resolved April 23 to change land reserved
from 'Servidao dos Vizinhos' (reserved for the benefit of
neighbouring properties) as per the Livro Tombo of the
records of the comunidade, for comercial use. It is learnt
that the move by the members of the Loutolim comunidade
general body is mainly to deprive land owners, who are not
components (members or share holders) o fthe comunidade of
their right to access their properties through the comunidade
land. (Gomantak Times)

WRIT AGAINST TEMPLE DEMOLITION: Goa Heritage Action Group has
moved the Bombay High Court in Goa with a writ on the alleged
demolition of the Mallikarjun Temple in Shreesthan-Canacona,
which is a state-protected document. (H)

SUNAPARANT/GOMANTAK/GOVADOOT

o Junta Havsant ghaani... goothanee... 'Chakachak Panjay'chee
  hee ek kanee. Junta House stinks. Here's a story from
  Clean Panjim. Photos show overflowing toilets, even as the
  current slogan for the cleanup of the town is 'Chakachak
  Panjim'. (Sunaparant)

o Fight against saffron fundamentalist attack,
  Rashtriya Seva Dal (an anti-communal) workers told by
  Sudhatayee Varde. The Dal meet was at Mapusa.(Sunaparant)

o If the Congress allows ministers from other backgrounds to
  stay in the party and take benefit of it, the Congress
  itself would pay a costly price in the forthcoming
  elections, a party panel told the Chief Minister. (Sunaparant)

o Both citizens and Congress workers upset with Rane
  government. Strong impact likely at next elections,
  says Gova Doot, considered close to the BJP.

o Spend funds allocated to Dabolim airport immediately,
  says education minister Luizinho Faleiro. (Sunaparant)

o Curtorim-Shiroda to be connected by new ferry link soon.
o Stick to Ambedkar's views, says Mahadev Ubali, in Pernem.GD
o All Dalit organisations need unity: Adv Chodankar. GovaDoot
o Youth asked to keep to Ambedkar's path, in Bicholim. GD
o Margao slums face action again. GovaDoot
o Mopa airport's fate hangs for another six months. Gomantak
o Water shortage hits Bardez rural areas. Gomantak
o Rickshaw operators oppose digital meters. (Gomantak)
o 'Durga zaali goree' shows at Kala Academy on Apr 30 and
  May 1 and at Rajiv Gandhi Kala Mandir, Ponda on Apr 30.
  Says an advert: "Don't miss this supershow (theatre)".

          Goa government plan to teach English as a subject
          from the first standard is correct, argues
          Principal Raghunath Gawas, Vijayanand Higher
          Secondary School, Tikhajan, Mayem. (Gomantak)

DEATHS AND REMEMBRANCES

          22-YEAR OLD student of Dempo Engineering at
          Old Goa, Kishore Minigaka died from an electric
          shock. (GT)

          BID TO BOARD BUS PROVES FATAL: An unidentified
          male, trying to board a Margao-bound bus near
          the Cuncolim bazaar, lost his balance and fell
          under its wheels. (GT)

BENAULIM: Suzana Fernandes, b 1988. Expired under tragic
circumstances.
MALAD (WEST): Xavier Denis, b 1952. Mitch Choki, Charkop
SALIGAO: Beryl L C D'Mello of Sonarbhat.
SOCORRO: Paulo Coelho, of Ambirna b 1940.
ST CRUZ: Janis B Dias. (Razai Vaddo)
VAGATOR: Joana Ida Albuquerque, b 1948

ALTO TORDA: Shantabai Mortu Sangodkar, 12th day
ST ESTEVAM/CALANGUTE: Olga Alba de Bom Parto D'Sa Lobo,month
MARGAO: Armando Gomes, 2nd anniversary.
MERCES: Piedade Rosaria Monteiro Fernandes, month's mind
MERCES: Alex 'Budhi' Fernandes of Vaddy, 2nd anniversary
ST INEZ: Vijay Kumar, month's mind.
VARCA: Baltazar Rodrigues, Chadvaddo, 1st anniversary
VASCO DA GAMA: Sumedha Chandrakant Dhargalkar, 12th day.
VEREM: Reginald D'Silva, 1st anniversary.

DAISY'S FAVOURITES: Recipies from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lemon-Coconut Rice Pudding: 1 cup medium-grain white rice
(not converted), 2 cups filtered water, 1 cup heavy cream,
2-1/4 cups milk, 1/2 vanilla bean, or 1 tsp vanilla extract,
Zest of 1 lemon, 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, or to
taste, Lemon juice, to taste

-- Topping --

3/4 cup shredded, sweetened coconut, 1/2 cup whipping cream,
2 Tbsp powdered sugar, Fresh raspberries, blueberries or
other seasonal fruit (optional).

Place the rice and water into a 2-quart saucepan; bring to a
boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the cream, milk, vanilla bean or extract, lemon zest and
sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat, stirring
gently and continuously, until the rice is thoroughly cooked
and very soft, about 20 minutes. The rice should be loose and
very saucy. It will thicken as it cools. Adjust to taste with
a few drops of lemon juice, if desired. Set aside.

Preheat broiler and spread the coconut in a shallow pan. Keep
a close eye on the coconut as it toasts, stirring frequently.
Cool. Whip the whipping cream with the powdered sugar until
it is thickened but still soft. Chill.

To serve, spoon the pudding into individual bowls, champagne
tulip glasses or martini glasses. Dollop whipped cream on
top. Garnish with toasted coconut and berries.

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2006 http://www.creativecommons.org You may
reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.