Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
        There is no better, value for money, guest house.
             Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

Henry Scholberg's piece "Journalism in Portuguese India 1821-1961" makes very interesting reading. It's surely a very abridged version of an extensive research, with resource to several languages.
I would like to comment upon some points Scholberg refers to.

He states that "In 'O Brado Indiano' one finds the beginning of genuine Indian protest as indicated in its title". I would be delighted to have some more clarifications about this. What is meant by "genuine Indian protest", in Goa, around 1895, even more than ten years before the concept of "Swaraj" was invented in the Indian National Congress meeting at Calcutta? How "Indian" and political were these journalistic "protests" really?

This leads to me to the concept "Indian" applied to 19th century Goa. Regularly, Goanetters and other amateur historians or scholars (Scholberg obviously not included) seek to legitimise anti-colonial protests in pre-1961 Goa with quotations from speeches and articles or editorials in Portuguese language where there are references to "India". My concern, and guess, is that "India" had a completely different understanding in those times. First, India was often seen under an apolitical light, simply as a geogrophical entity (the sub-continent). Or, second, India, specially in continental Portugal, was the short designation for Portuguese India, i.e. specially Goa. In this second meaning, for example, "India" is not the present independent political entity called Republic of India (non-existent at that time, and largely absent as a project even for the British India freedom fighters). It is specifically Goa, and perhaps also Daman, Diu and other enclaves at the time.

I feel further study should be done in this domain. What were the perceptions and meanings of "India" among the Goan intellegentisa in the 19th century, and even up to 1961. And what was "India" for the Lisbon-based journalists, politicians and thinkers?

These concerns of mine relate specially to the following paragraph by Scholberg: "As for Goa's identification with India, consider: "Bharat Mitra' (Brother India), The Indian Bulletin, Indian Civilization, Echo of India, Gazette of India, The Indian, Journal of India, Reporter of India, The Voice of the People of India, and, after Independence, 'India Portuguesa' becomes, simply, 'India'." If my supposition is right, Scholberh unrightly derives a political interpretation out of these titles.

A second point relates to the statement that
"A difficult period for journalists in Goa was that which existed between 1946 and 1961, a time identified with the movement to bring the blessings of Independence to Goa." No doubt that it was a difficult period for freedom of expression and consequently for free journalism in Goa. As it was in Portugal itself. My attention rather goes to the last part of the sentence. First, unlike what many try to prove, there was no "one movement" against Portuguese colonialism in Goa.

There were radical terrorist groups fighting for Goa's integration within India, as well as there were peaceful groups looking out for the same objective. There were different patterns and different startegies, as well as different nuances and geographical locations. There were also different orientations, one important and quite neglected by current research, being the one demanding a wide autonomy for Goa within a Portuguese confederation, a special status within the Indian Union, or complete independence and sovereignty. There isare several Goan intellectuals and politicians who openly defended these options and presented them to both sides - the Portuguese and the Indian.

Thus, given this large diversity of movements against Portuguese colonialism in Goa, there is one more concept to be discussed. Scholberg defines the objective of these being the "independence of Goa". As far as I know, the dominant mainstream in the Goan freedom struggle was striving for *integration* within the Indian Union. India being independent since 1947, there was thus no more demand for "Indian independence", and, exlcuding the small circles I referred to above, no demand for "Goan independence".

This last calrification is necessary for the reason that confusion (consciously produced or not) can easily emerge in the Goan researchers community and even in mainstream debates and education in Goa. Goa has never been independent, nor has there been any relevant movement aspiring to that status. What Goa witnessed, mainly during the last period Scholberg analyses in his piece, was an anti-colonial movement which in its mainstream agenda demanded the integration of Portuguese India into another sovereign nation - the Republic of India. Thus, careful with the word "independence"!

A last point I would like to make, specifically directed at the last part of "Journalism in Portuguese India 1821-1961", which deals with the post-1961 era. Scholber asks "What is the state of journalism today?". In my opinion, any researcher or even interested in media affairs and historical journalism, taking a close glimpse at newspapers produced in Goa in the past, and then at newspapers produced in Goa today, will, without hesitation, conclude that the panorama is much worse off today. *Relatively*, i.e. in relation to the standards and constraints of each historical period, I think Goan newspapers are today worse than their counterparts fifty, or even hundred years back. While in the past Goan journalists and newspapers were many times perhaps closely following world-class standards, had strong political impact despite censorship and covered issues in-depth and with great international outlook (the same applying to the radio and the "Emissora de Goa"), look at the panorama today.

Though I feel that over the last 3 years there has been some improvement, is it possible to compare Goan newspapers and magazines with the very own Indian media standards, not to speak about international ones?

A last note: it is amazing (and also frightening) to note the ostracization the "Goan Observer" has been suffering by the "mainstream" research and media agenda in Goa. Once again there is no reference to this most important weekly English newspaper in Goa, which, in my opinion, has fostered the changes we have seen over the last three years in terms of invetsigative and outspoken journalism. My guess for the reason for this neglect goes precisely to the person you refer to as being one of the "main sources" for you post-1961 study, Frederick Noronha. A good friend of mine, I might understand his personal feelings against the "Goan Observer" endeavour. What I cannot understand, nor accept, is that he systematically ignores the newspaper in any study or reference he produces about journalism in Goa. The same applies to a larger chunk of the contemporary Goan intelligentsia.

But, Prof. Scholberg, let me renew my congratulations for your research. It is a great re-discovery of a part the rich Goan history, which I read with great interest. I wish there were more people like you, especially Goans, doing this kind of work about our past and heritage.

Constantino Xavier
Delhi/Lisbon