Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
         There is no better, value for money, guest house.
              Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

After I sent my response to Cornel, I departed on our long Labor Day weekend.
Hence I did not read any goanet mail over the holiday. Yet the six hour drive
gave me time to think about the offensive wording of "Hitler was a Catholic
Fascist" in company with other "Catholic Fascists" of Europe.  For this to come
from Cornel, may suggest that he has unfamiliarity with English, at least
American-English.  Or his British environment makes him desensitized to this
phraseology.

Recently, Andrew Young the former US ambassador to the UN, referred to Jewish
shopkeepers, Arab shopkeepers and Korean shopkeepers overpricing their
products, in the USA.  He had to apologize to them and (was forced to) resign
from his seat on the Walmart Board losing a likely salary in excess of
$100,000:00.  I hope no Goan makes this misjudgment.

If Cornel was a professor of English at one of the American schools or
colleges, his remarks would be cause for his dismissal from the staff, due to
demagoguery of the religion. To those who may not appreciate the faux pas of
Cornel's phraseology, it is the equivalent of terming the prisoners in Goa's
jails as "Catholic murderer" or "Hindu robber", " Muslim rapist" etc.  Either
our ignorance or our tolerance / desensitized to nuances, permit a lot of
demagoguery on Goanet.  And I wish the moderators did something about it, to
raise the standard of discourse.

>From the responses I have received, many Catholic Goans are upset at those who
>talk about the outdated caste system in the present. The last discussion we
>had on the subject, the overwhelming consensus was that, caste was a thing of
>the past.  Now, one does not even know their colleagues' or associates' caste.
>Goans who have written to me have suggested that those who in the unlikely
>circumstances, still carry scars of their caste, had a narrow upbringing.
>Hence we, as the large community of Goans today, should no longer tolerate
>this diversionary, abusive and circumstantial attack on Goan Catholics and the
>Church.

I however do compliment Cornel for feeling offended by my terming his writings
as anti-Catholic.  In fact, I am proud of him for wanting to be proud of his
Catholic credentials.  I hope he and he rest of us in moving forward pay closer
attention of our writings.

Fred rightly points out,  this thread migrated off its origin. Yet, one of the
main persons who started the dialogue used the outrageous terminology. This
tells us that the thread was not started with the high intentions that Fred
suggest.
Kind Regards, GL

----------- Frederick Noronha wrote:

In sum, the attempt to reduce this to a "Was Hitler a Catholic" debate is a way
of subverting the issue. FN