Hi Cedric,

How coincidental ! That was the MIDDLE GROUND on which I first practiced my
hockey goalkeeping too after day dreaming and getting lost in thought (and
giving up as a midfleilder in hockey and soccer). I played my first ever
hockey match as goalie there - It was an inter-class hockey tournament match
and we won the tournament - I still a have the certificate.

I was very careful not to practice in the goal facing us in the picture
(near the bookstore and below the principal's office) because the rebounds
off the wall were life threatening, and I didnt want to split concentration
on the shots at goal and the rebounds at the same time. So, I always
preferred to practice at the Donnelly Gym end, after the boarders were done
with their hockey at 5:30 pm.

Incidently, it was in that Donnelly Gym end goal that I was noticed as a
seventh grader by coach Terence Fernandes (ex Tatas, the big guy) and
manager Fr. Benji Fernandes and was selected to play for overage team (and
U-13, U-15, U-17 and U-19) as a 12 year-old in 1970, soon after the
International Hockey Tournament-1970 (aka IHT-70), where I was so impressed
by your acrobatics in goal for the India Light Blues (and I often practiced
them, along with your characteristic 'hop in the step' at Stanislaus).

The Middle Ground which was Hallowed ground for the two of us and many
legions of Stanislites, has never been sodded properly with grass - as far
as I have known it, despite some attempts in the early 70s. When I am there
in December I will discuss with the ex-Students about sodding the Middle
Gound with the appropriate grass or laying astro turf on the Donnelly Gym -
so that future Legions of Stanislites enjoy a definite advantage over their
rivals and Stanislaus continues to dominate Bombay Schools' Hockey.
Stanislaus can also have a revenue stream from outside agencies who can use
the astroturf on a "pay to play" basis. Another reason for putting
astro-turf on the Donnelly Gym is that the Bhabhanagar guys will not be able
to open the fire hydrant and flood the place whenever they dont feel like
playing Bazar Road in the St. Peter's Parish Hockey League. If possible,
this December I will take our our aging coach Balbir Singh Sr. for a
pilgrimage to our Hallowed Stanislaus Middle Ground where so many of his
proteges (including Mickey, Markie, etc) first played hockey!

Best Regards,

Dr. Carmo D'Cruz,
Stanislite, Class of 75
INDIAn Harbour Beach, Florida.