On Thu, 7/17/14, Jose Colaco wrote:
Every child must have a proper physical (followed by regular physicals) before
entering school.  This includes: Proof of Immunization and  Mantoux ( TB test)

Look up Canadian / UK / US primary School (or even Uni) entry requirements.

Am I to understand that Mervyn is accepting liability for any infectious
diseases which might occur because the basic preventive steps were NOT taken
(if that be the case)?

Doc,
I believe that the primary responsibility of a child's health lies with his/her
parents or guardians. When the parents/guardians are ignorant, that
responsibility extends to the village - and then to society at large.

I totally agree with you that every child should be immunized and have the
proof before s/he applies to any school. Most parents would like reasonable
assurances that the school authorities are following the rules for the
prevention of communicable diseases. The crux of the matter in the case above,
however, is fear. Fear fueled by ignorance.

You can remove fear, as Cecil pointed out, by having a PTA.

You cannot totally remove the transmission of communicable diseases from any
school. When someone gets a 'gut feeling' and points a finger at HIV+
individuals, they are spreading fear, they are discriminating. Plain and
simple.

I know people who have been HIV+ for decades. They do not spread any infectious
diseases. I also know people who have never had HIV and are dead from diseases
that are totally preventable.

Mervyn