Dear Friend,
We live in an age of speed and instant response. Engineering and technology
have provided us with tools that speed up things for us. As we get used to
quick responses we tend to push God and expect him to instantly respond to us.
But when something or someone is important to us we are ready to wait. Is God
important to us? Can we wait for Him? He is not impressed by our words but
attitudes! Have an unhurried weekend waiting on Him! -Fr. Jude
Sun Ref. XXX Sunday: ‘The Lord listens to the humble, He will not delay!’
23-Oct-2016Sirach 35: 12-14, 16-18;          2 Tim. 4: 6-8, 16-18;
Luke 18: 9-14;

The first reading from Sirach describes God as partial to the weak, listening
to the cry of the oppressed, especially the powerless orphans and widows. God
always listens to the poor and has a favourable sentence on the one who does
not boast of their merits and has only poverty and mercy to rely on. God will
vindicate the rights of the wronged.

No respecter of the privilegedOne incident which impressed itself on Mahatma
Gandhi’s mind was when he was obliged to step into the gutter so that a group
of white passers-by would not be contaminated. Reflecting on the experience
afterwards he wrote: It has always been a mystery to me how men feel themselves
honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings. Gandhi made the remark not
in anger but in surprise. When he returned to his native India he abandoned the
practice of the law to practice satyagraha – the non-violent force born of
truth and love. Gandhi saw truth as having a power of its own and, although he
was imprisoned four times for resisting British colonial rule, he never doubted
the rightness of his cause. In the language of the first reading, Gandhi
believed in a God who was no respecter of the privileged to the detriment of
the poor. His persistence in his cause for justice is a powerful illustration
of the truth we heard proclaimed: “The humble man’s prayer pierces the clouds,
until it arrives he is inconsolable nor will he desist until the Most High
takes notice of him.”Denis McBride in ‘Seasons of the word’
Jesus in today’s gospel caricatures the two extremes of the religious society
of his day, two attitudes before God. In which do I see myself, the Pharisee or
the publican? First the Pharisee, with his ‘magnificent’ prayer of thanks asks
nothing for himself, and we should judge him as no hypocrite: what he says, he
does, and perfectly. The trouble is he knows it too well: he listens to himself
praying, he is preoccupied with himself. Above all, he judges others. As far as
he is concerned about God, he sees him chiefly as the one who will recognise
his merits. Set against this religiously observant man, we have the publican.
He makes no great prayer of thanksgiving; he confesses, not because he needs to
sweep his conscience clear but to express all the sorrow he feels for them.
Finding nothing that could give him any assurance before his judge, he entrusts
himself to the divine mercy. When this humble man returned to his home he, and
not the other, was at rights with God. As Christians we know that a just man is
one who has been justified, saved by God, without regard for merit. Do we
believe that firmly enough when we pray? The best revealer of God and of
ourselves is still our prayer!
True humility makes way for GodNarada, the Indian sage, was a devotee of God.
So great was his devotion that he was one day tempted to think that in all the
world there was no one who loved God more than he. His self-righteousness began
to lead him towards pride and arrogance. The Lord read his heart and said,
“Narada, go to this town on the banks of the Ganges for a devotee of mine
dwells there. Living with him will do you good.” Narada went and found a farmer
who rose early in the morning, pronounced the name of God only once, then
lifted his plough and went out to his fields where he worked the whole day.
Just before he fell asleep at night he pronounced the name of God once again.
Narada thought, “How can this farmer be a devotee of God? He pronounced God’s
name only twice in the day, and then got himself immersed in his worldly
occupation.” When Narada voiced his opinion to God, then the Lord said to him,
“Fill a bowl to the brim with milk and walk all round the city. Then come back
without spilling a single drop.” Narada did as he was told, and returned back.
Then the Lord asked him, “How many times did you remember me in the course of
your walk around the city?” Not once,” replied Narada. “How could I when you
commanded me to watch that bowl of milk?” The Lord said, “That bowl so absorbed
your attention that you forgot me altogether. But look at that farmer who,
though burdened with the cares of supporting a family, remembers me twice a
day.”John Rose in ‘John’s Sunday Homilies’
I’m OK, You’re OKThe Pharisee was the religious pro-he did all the right things
demanded by the law. The tax collector was a sinner by employment – he was
guilty of breaking the law by the very work he did. Each man prays in the
Temple. If Jesus had stopped to ask us, “Who do you think went home justified?”
we probably would have answered, “The Pharisee!” But Jesus would say, “You’re
wrong! The other guy is the good guy. “How come?” we would protest. Then Jesus
would give us the punch line: “Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but
he who humbles himself will be exalted.” In terms of Transactional Analysis the
Pharisee was relating to God like a parent to a child. He was telling God all
about the good things he was doing for him –fasting, praying, tithing and so
on. He was almost demanding that God admire and approve of him. On the other
hand, the tax collector related to God like a child to a parent. He humbly
acknowledged that he had done wrong but trusted in his heavenly Father’s love
and mercy.Albert Cylwicki in ‘His Word Resounds’
Forgetting our rootsA clergyman had reached the end of his rope, and he decided
to try some other way of life that might give him a greater personal
satisfaction. He was very disappointed to discover that a job was hard to come
by. At last, he landed a job in the local zoo. Unfortunately, when he went
there, the job was not exactly available just yet, but the manager asked him to
consider taking a temporary job, until the other one was vacant. As it happened
the chimpanzee had died, and had not yet been replaced. The chimp was a great
favourite with the children, and the cage could not be left empty for long.
They had a chimp suit, and the man was asked if he would mind getting into the
suit, and taking the place of the chimp. All he’d have to do was to roll around
a few times, eat a banana, go back in the back for a rest, etc. He decided to
give it a go. He was an instant success. The children gathered around his cage.
He soon discovered that he was now getting much more attention than he ever got
in the pulpit. One day, he decided to really get into the act. He jumped up,
grabbed an overhead bar, and began to swing to and fro, to the delighted
screams of the children. He got carried away with himself, and he really began
to swing with gusto. Unfortunately, after one huge effort, his hands (paws?)
slipped, and he went flying over the partition into the cage next door. A huge
tiger approached, and, forgetting that he was supposed to be a chimp, he
screamed ‘Help! Help!’, to which the tiger whispered sharply, ‘Shut up, you
fool; I’m a minister too!’ We are all the same when we stand before God.Jack
McArdle in ‘And that’s the Gospel truth!’
My prayer answeredA good life, like a good prayer, comes from emptying
ourselves of ourselves to let God in. That means a realization of the truth of
the words scribbled long ago by an anonymous soldier of the Confederacy:“I
asked God for strength, that I might achieve – I was made weak, that I might
learn humbly to obey. I asked for help that I might do greater things – I was
given infirmity, that I might do better things.I asked for riches, that I might
be happy – I was given poverty, that I might be wise.I asked for all things,
that I might enjoy life – I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.I got
nothing that I asked for – but everything I had hoped for.Despite myself, my
prayers were answered. I am, among all men, most richly blessed!”Harold Buetow
in ‘God Still Speaks! Listen’
May we remember that God listens when we speak humbly to Him!
 Fr. Jude Botelho botelhoj...@gmail.com
PS. The stories, incidents and anecdotes used in the reflections have been
collected over the years from books as well as from sources over the net and
from e-mails received. Every effort is made to acknowledge authors whenever
possible. If you send in stories or illustrations I would be grateful if you
could quote the source as well so that they can be acknowledged if used in
these reflections.These reflections are also available on my Web site
www.NetForLife.net Thank you.