From: b sabha <bcsabha.kal...@gmail.com>

http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.com/SilkStalkings/trained-restaurant-staff-could-help-customers-order-wisely-keep-garbage-levels-down/
[http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/food-BCCL.jpg]<http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.com/SilkStalkings/trained-restaurant-staff-could-help-customers-order-wisely-keep-garbage-levels-down/>

Trained restaurant staff could help customers order wisely, keep garbage levels
down<http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.com/SilkStalkings/trained-restaurant-staff-could-help-customers-order-wisely-keep-garbage-levels-down/>
blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.com
On the way to buy glorious flowers at the Ghazipur wholesale market in east
Delhi, it is impossible to miss the mountain of garbage on the right flank of
the highway, euphemistically called a landfill....

Silk Stalkings - EAT LESS, WASTE LESS
Reshmi Dasgupta

Trained restaurant staff could help customers order wisely, keep garbage levels
down

On the way to buy glorious flowers at the Ghazipur wholesale market in east
Delhi, it is impossible to miss the mountain of garbage on the right flank of
the highway, euphemistically called a landfill. Kites circle endlessly over the
noxious escarpment and hidden fires emit spires of smoke as dumper trunks snake
up to unload more rotting waste.

There is no starker evidence of how much garbage modern cities that is, all of
us residents create every day. Thankfully Indians still have not reached the
wastage levels of the so-called “developed“ countries of the west. Even so, our
sheer numbers make up for the low per capita waste generation. And the
landfills keep rising.

Every year New York generates over four million tons of waste, of which a third
is discarded food. That rots and emits the greenhouse gas methane. But at least
the city authorities there have been working with generators of food waste
individuals and restaurants -to curb output so that that the landfills will
eventually stop growing.

Restaurants create half a million tons of food waste a year in New York. It's
estimat ed that if just 5% of them reduce wastage by donating uneaten food or
composting leftovers, landfills could shrink 14%. Residents have been pitching
in by composting organic waste in individual or community plots, but how about
simply wasting less?
An eastern nation like Singapore has taken a different tack. It's solid waste
generation rose marginally in 2016 to 7.81 million tonnes but so did its
recycling especially construction debris. More importantly, domestic waste
generation dropped a bit from 2.13 million tonnes in 2015 to 2.09 million
tonnes in 2016 and recycling increased.

That's because the Singapore government has been combatting food wastage at
many levels, including consumption.Freedom to Squander the latest battle cry
against Consumer Affairs and Food minister Ram Vilas Paswan's inarticulate
advocacy of listing portion sizes on menus to curb over inadvertent
ordering-would clearly cut no ice there! Singapore's National Environment
Agency's food waste management strategy says “The preferred way to manage food
waste is to avoid wasting food at the onset“. So since 2015, it has been
conducting programmes for “smart food purchase“ and teaching ways to cook and
store food that minimise wastage at source and save money.

It has also put out relevant content in the media including online and reached
out to schools and food retail brands to join this effort to “remind and
encourage“ people not to waste food. It has even produced a waste minimisation
guidebook for restaurants and supply chains in collaboration with major
international hotel groups.

Particularly those Indians prematurely protesting about supposed curbs on what
or how much we can eat, may be interested to learn that the guidebook has a
separate section called “food portion management“. It suggests restaurants
offer “different portion choices or indicate serving sizes in menus (e.g. for
sharing by 3 ­ 4 persons)“.

It also advocates restaurant wait staff be “well-informed on serving sizes and
ingredients of dishes in the menu“ in order to “minimise food wastage by
customers“.Making staff aware of food waste reduction initiatives is also
suggested. Sounds like our minister was inspired by this Singapore initiative
to broach an Indian variant, if incoherently.

While eating more judiciously as the PM suggested in a recent Mann ki Baat is a
sensible personal initiative to opt for, an incident last October showed me the
value of listing portion sizes and training staff to help people order
correctly. In our case, it would have prevented under-ordering and not left us
with a bad taste in the mouth.

At a (then) newly opened restaurant in a five star hotel, we were burdened with
a surprisingly taciturn and singularly unhelpful staff. So we went by the
prices to guess portion sizes. At `500++ I reasoned that one portion of steamed
rice would suffice for the three of us as we tend to focus on the proteins
rather than carbs when eating out.

The rice turned out to be barely three tablespoons' worth. The duck portion was
equally measly. Had portion sizes been mentioned or staff trained, we would
have been saved a lot of time and trouble. We can try to eat less, waste less
and thus not make Ghazipur's garbage mountain rise as fast.Why can't
restaurants help us do so too?

[http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/NasData//PUBLICATIONS/THEECONOMICTIMES/MUMBAI/2017/04/15/Photographs/010/15_04_2017_010_032_004.jpg]<http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31818&articlexml=Silk-Stalkings-EAT-LESS-WASTE-LESS-15042017010032#>
Silk Stalkings - EAT LESS, WASTE LESS
<http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31818&articlexml=Silk-Stalkings-EAT-LESS-WASTE-LESS-15042017010032#>
epaperbeta.timesofindia.com
The Times Of India daily ePaper - Watch digital ePaper of India from around the
world.

[http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/NasData//PUBLICATIONS/THEECONOMICTIMES/MUMBAI/2017/04/15/Photographs/010/15_04_2017_010_032_007.jpg]<http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31818&articlexml=Silk-Stalkings-EAT-LESS-WASTE-LESS-15042017010032#>

[http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/NasData//PUBLICATIONS/THEECONOMICTIMES/MUMBAI/2017/04/15/Photographs/010/15_04_2017_010_032_013.jpg]<http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31818&articlexml=Silk-Stalkings-EAT-LESS-WASTE-LESS-15042017010032#>