Reena Martins in her excellent Bombay Christmas story in Selma Carvalho’s JRLJ,
tells us of a family that had the Belling oven.

Brings back memories of our own British-made Baby Belling (a mini but equally
versatile version of the monster) in 1950s and 60s Byculla. My mother a nurse,
didn’t have the time to be a traditional Goan-cooking mother but thanks to the
Baby Belling, she was one.

In no time at all, she would turn out slow cooked and roasted dishes that I
remember to this day and sweets, desserts and baked goods that were nearly at
par with the Goa originals. Any visitor to the house and there were many,
enjoyed a good Goan meal thanks to Mom and the Baby Belling.

Imagine my surprise when googling Baby Belling to see that it is available to
this day and is still made in the UK which is even more surprising.

Roland Francis
Toronto.