On 30 November 2017 at 14:22, Roland Francis <roland.fran...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Reena Martins in her excellent Bombay Christmas story in Selma Carvalho’s
> JRLJ, tells us of a family that had the Belling oven.
>
> Brings back memories of our own British-made Baby Belling (a mini but
> equally versatile version of the monster) in 1950s and 60s Byculla. My
> mother a nurse, didn’t have the time to be a traditional Goan-cooking
> mother but thanks to the Baby Belling, she was one.
>
> In no time at all, she would turn out slow cooked and roasted dishes that
> I remember to this day and sweets, desserts and baked goods that were
> nearly at par with the Goa originals. Any visitor to the house and there
> were many, enjoyed a good Goan meal thanks to Mom and the Baby Belling.
>
> Imagine my surprise when googling Baby Belling to see that it is available
> to this day and is still made in the UK which is even more surprising.
>
> Roland Francis
> Toronto.

RESPONSE: Okay for people who do not have mains gas. Most Londoner cooks
prefer Gas Ovens. We had a Baby Belling when we first got married and
living in a bedsit. Took many coins to put into the meter to Bake a duck
one Christmas eve, some 5 hours later it was ready....

--
DEV BOREM KORUM

Gabe Menezes.