 TRI Continental Film Festival - Dona Paula, Goa, Sep 28 - Oct 2, 2007

http://www.moviesgoa.org/tricontinental/tricon.htm

For public viewing. Registration at  The International Centre Goa.  (Ph:
+91-832-2452805 to 10)

              Online Media Partner:  http://www.GOANET.org
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070916/asp/7days/story_8322576.asp

Young and sloshed
More and more women in their early twenties are battling a serious
drinking problem, discovers Reena Martins

Anjali is celebrating her third month of sobriety over cake and
coffee. But at the all-woman Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting in
Mumbai — where neither her sex nor her sobriety is an element of
novelty — she stands out.

It's not her bright red lipstick that attracts attention or her
model-like visage. It's not even the countless tattoos etched all
over. What hits you is her age — Anjali is only 25.

Traditional wisdom has it that alcoholism is a problem that besets
people — mostly men — in their forties and fifties. But doctors say
now more and more women in their early twenties are battling a serious
drinking problem. And thanks to a burgeoning pub culture in the
metros, many of them are getting addicted to liquor in their teenage,
or even pre-teen years.

Beena (all names have been changed to protect identities) was all of
11 when she had her first drink — a glass of wine. "I enjoyed it so
much that I drank up my sister's and friend's share, besides my own,"
Beena, now 26, recalls. By 13, she was moving around in Bangalore with
a circle of friends a little older than her. On Sunday afternoons, the
friends gathered over pitchers of beer. Soon, she was drinking more
and more.

Two years ago, she lurched her way into an AA meeting in Bangalore,
having struggled for about five years as a full-blown alcoholic. She
went there on her own, seeking help.

In cities such as Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune, exclusively women's
groups against alcoholism have sprung up over the last couple of
years, in keeping with the growing number of women drinkers, and a
woman's need for privacy when it comes to sharing her drinking lows.
Delhi has had one such group for a decade.

When Celina walked into an AA meeting 10 years ago at the age of 28,
"not wanting to live, not ready to die," everyone else was well into
their forties. There were no faces as young as hers, she recalls.
Today, there are more young women than before, though they are still
heavily outnumbered by older people.

For years, it was believed that hard drinking and men went together.
But a gender, alcohol and culture study conducted by Bangalore's
National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (Nimhans) in
2005 found that the drinking pattern of women in Karnataka was "not
too different from that of men," says Nimhans psychiatrist Vivek
Benegal.

Even the average age at which men and women took their first drink is
the same — around 20 years. Some women said they began with lighter
spirits such as beer and wine, and then graduated to hard liquor.
"They began to drink like there was no tomorrow," says Dr Benegal.

So why do young women take to heavy drinking? The educated upper
middle class urban woman between 20 and 30 that the Nimhans study
looked at drank to boost her mood. "Until a few years ago, drinking
was more aimed at relieving negative moods and reducing stress," says
Dr Benegal.

Alcoholism often begins as a simple, confidence building measure.
Simran started drinking when she was 15 — beer first, and later neat
vodka. "After drinking, I was saying things I couldn't have said
otherwise. I was enjoying the attention I was getting. I felt
complete," says Simran, now 21 and working at a Pune call centre. By
the time she was in her late teens, she had become addicted to hard
liquor.

Women with a drink problem stress that when they first started
drinking, they never thought there would be trouble. "The line between
the cup and the lip is too thin to be seen," says Samya, another
Bangalore-based alcoholic in recovery, to whom the sight of young
women "puking their guts out" after having one too many outside many a
Bangalore pub is hardly new.

One of the lessons that former alcoholic 26-year-old Bangalorean
Supriya learnt from AA is that an alcoholic is defined not in terms of
the number of drinks he or she can have but the sum total of its
effects. "It's an obsession which you recognise when the body says you
cannot drink safely and the mind says you can," she says.

This is a story common to most alcoholics. The thrill of not getting
ostensibly drunk after downing more drinks than the others acts as a
stimulant. "I revelled in the fact that I could drink and drive
friends home. I had a huge capacity for alcohol," says Supriya. A
couple of years later, she found herself bingeing on anything
alcoholic from 6.30 pm, after work, till the wee hours of the morning
every day.

Sister Valsamma, a counsellor at the Kripa Drug and Alcohol
Rehabilitation Centre in Pune, is constantly faced with young women
alcoholics who think they are social drinkers. "They are not willing
to accept the fact that their system cannot tolerate alcohol," she
says. The Pune centre, which is only for women, has seen 107 women
patients since 2001.

But even after going through rehab, quite a few say they still have to
battle temptation. Even a couple of years after wrenching herself away
from the bottle, Simran says she cannot help but reach for it — in her
mind — "in times of celebration and mourning."

Supriya adds that she is often tempted when she sees her friends enjoy
their drinks. But Supriya knows she has to stay sober. She cannot
allow herself the luxury of forgetting her journey into hell — and
back.

one too many

Most young women who become alcoholics start drinking when they are in
their early teens

Family conflict is common — parents refuse to accept that alcoholism
is a disease

Women drinkers face greater social ostracism than men. They are
regarded as immoral

Women alcoholics would like to stop drinking but wrongly believe that
they can do it themselves