Dears,
The sub-title of the banner headline article on today's Navhind Times [07
March, 2008] says it all. Read the details NOW .... to avoid disappointment
later!
Mog asundi.
Miguel
Taskforce working on draft RP-2021
Originally its task was to just recommend guidelines for the plan
by Glenn da Costa
Panaji, March 6 Contrary to recommending guidelines for the new regional plan
2021, the taskforce headed by the Chief Minister, Mr Digambar Kamat has been
given the task of formulating the Regional Plan 2021.
The convenor of Goa Bachao Abhiyan, which was instrumental in forcing the
scrapping of the RP-2011, Dr Oscar Rebello, who is a part of the taskforce,
when asked about this development said, Notification to this effect has been
received and we are pursuing the matter.
However, the vice-chairman of the taskforce and noted architect, Mr Charles
Correia, was more forthcoming and said that the proposal asking the taskforce
to formulate the new plan had been received and that they were working on
formulating the framework of the Regional Plan 2021, adding that they had
been asked by the Chief Minister himself to do this.
This was also confirmed by senior planner and member of the taskforce as well
as the honorary advisor on urban development to the Chief Minister, Mr Edgar
Rebeiro.
Mr Correia said, The Chief Minister changed the reference and we were asked
to make the draft plan which will be then given to all panchayats and
municipalities who will then put forth their aspirations. After that the plan
will be submitted to the town and country planning board.
Mr Rebeiro concurred, and argued, A regional plan has a dynamic perspective.
First plan was RP-2001, which was formulated by in-house experts and for the
second one an outside consultant was used who updated the original plan and
submitted it under the name of RP-2011. This plan was bitterly opposed by the
people after objections were called for and the plan was finalised, the
government kept on making changes, and so the plan was ultimately scrapped. Now
the updation of plan 2001 is being done for RP-2021.
It may be recalled that the taskforce was formed when the people came out on
the streets, led by the GBA, and forced the scrapping of the RP-2011.
The Chief Minister is the head of the taskforce, while its vice-chairman is
noted architect, Mr Charles Correia. Its members include noted planner, Mr
Edgar Ribeiro, an architect, Mr Rahul Deshpande, president, Indian Institute of
Architects-Goa Chapter, Mr Dean DCruz, president, Goa Industries, Construction
and Housing Association, Mr Datta Naik, Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry
representative, Mr Blaise Costa Bir, convenor of Goa Bachao Abhiyan, Dr Oscar
Rebello, nodal officer, technical and senior town planner, Mr S T Putturaju,
TCP and nodal officer, administration, Mr Sanjit Rodrigues.
Mr Correia informed that the six villages and three municipalities will be
used to perform a dry run during which the people from these places will be
asked about what they want for their areas and after the feedback all the
panchayats and municipalities will be involved.
Mr Correia said, For the first time in the country the regional plan will
involve people and if it works in Goa then states like Kerala will probably
follow. I think this model will be a wonderful new model.
He argued that it is very important to amalgamate top and down and if this is
not done in a transparent manner then we will be back to square one.
Mr Rebeiro too argued, Transparency is very important. What we are going to
do is put the whole thing in draft form and send it to the Chief Minister and
we would like feedback from panchayat and municipality areas and with the
feedback we hope to put in place a refined draft plan ask for objections and
then submit it to the TCP. ENDS
---------------------------------
Bring your gang together - do your thing. Start your group.