To Goanet -

Last week, following a request under the RTI Act,
I received documents for land conversions for specified
villages in Salcette.  I had asked for information for
the years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.  Additionally,
I have the papers for other areas and talukas of Goa.

A few examples of the sanads are given below.
The essence of the information is on the top half
of the first page.  The following are the things to
look for: Date of issue, Name, Address and
Survey number of the plot, Area.  Remember,
these are only a few of the large number of
papers obtained.

Varca -

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/varca-1.jpg
(note whose name it is issued in)

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/varca-2.jpg

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/varca-3.jpg

Carmona -

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/carmona.jpg
(is this the same as the stalled Raheja project,
or is this a different plot?)

Benaulim -

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/benaulim.jpg
(Benaulim has the most conversions in the years
requested)

Colva -

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/colva.jpg

For the taluka of Canacona -

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/canacona-1.jpg

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/canacona-2.jpg

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/canacona-3.jpg

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/canacona-4.jpg

http://www.parrikar.org/images/RTI/canacona-5.jpg

(these seem to involve the same players)

I have said it many times on Goanet.  Goa is
doomed unless all construction and land conversion
is brought to a halt immediately.

Also - the oft-heard cliche about we Goans being
responsible for the destruction of our homeland
is, yes, true.  But it is equally true that it is Goans
themselves who now stand in the way of reclaiming
Goa.  You may think I am referring to the miners
and the builders only.

Not true.  I have been at this business of investigating
and documenting photographically the ruin of Goa
the past 18 months or so, the last 9 months out
of them with unusual intensity and focus.  I have
now come to the conclusion that what we have here
in Goa is a mafia of activists that IS AS DANGEROUS
AS THE BUILDERS AND THE MINERS.

I have thousands of photographs, hundreds of RTI
documents (all obtained by expending personal
time, effort and money - and these things don't
come cheap - and at risk to my person).

You would think that a group like the GBA would
have sought all the info bank I have accumulated.
No!  Not a single activist from this body (supposedly
at the forefront of saving Goa) has bothered.  When
I questioned the GBA leaders about their activities
and utterances, I was branded a saffronite
or it was alleged that I was trying to foment
dissent in the ranks of the GBA at the behest
of BJP.  When cornered with uncomfortable questions,
the strategy is to label the interlocutor saffron.
That's Activism 101 in Goa for you.

We recently tried to bring everyone together on a
common platform we called the Goa People's Assembly.
The usual rascals immediately perked up, afraid
that the space they have commandeered all this
while may be toast.

Here, too, we had saboteurs.  Some speakers
were told not to attend.  The common Goan
citizen will have to ponder the question: who
would want to disrupt a meet that could potentially
have paved the way for a call for a complete ban
on construction & conversion?  That would have
conceivably demonstrated a united front and
put the govt, builders and miners on notice?

You can go back and read the postings of
"Satyawan Govekar" - the fake ID.  Too bad for him
that he got found out.  But this is the kind of gutter
sludge that one has to deal with here in Goa.

Yhe Taleigao Bachao Abhiyan had invited
me to screen "The Rape of Goa" in their village
on July 6.  Yesterday, I received a call from one
of the organizers with profuse apologies that the
screening will not be possible.  Today, I learnt
that a couple of people (including one who fancies
himself as an intellectual) were responsible
for scuttling the screening.  These hypocrites are
quick to condemn the Sangh Parivar for intolerance
but are themselves the biggest exemplars of
intolerance and bigotry.  These are the lowest of
the low - censors of freedom of expression because
the contents do not sit well with their dogma.

The activist mafia is deeply entrenched here and
Goa will not be saved by the current cast of
operators, most of whom have a vested interest
in keeping construction, conversion and mining
strong and healthy.

I have seen the damage done to Goa firsthand.
Through the RTI, I have also pried open just
a wee bit the door to the vault of frauds
perpetrated on the Goan people.  To sift through,
process, & analyze all the papers I have and
get the big picture would require a sizable
staff on full-time duty.  An organization like the
GBA should have had a huge database by now, but
they have NOTHING.  Why do all the hard work
when you can simply show up at a public meeting
and give a rousing speech, or give a press quote,
or preen in front of a TV camera?

After all these months, I have a good measure
of the activist community in Goa.  Naxalites
they are not.  Tricksters, shams and frauds,
that's what many of them are.  And they will be
the ones presiding over the bonfire of Goa.

This will be the last set of photographs/documents
I post to Goanet.

Warm regards,