Hi,

Lots has been written about goans selling ancestral property. How will goans be 'pverty-stricken' by selling property. What they do with the money is nobody's business. Parents can sell the property because it belongs to them and not the children, and besides if most of the children are living overseas and do not want to come back to Goa, why can't they sell the property especially those who need the money.

If it hadn't been for rich Indians and foreigners who have bought our ancestral homes, they would have gone to seed. We had to sell our home in Moira because no one wanted to live there after my father expired in 1989. My mother couldn't live there alone so shifted to her maternal place in Margao, and my two brothers and myself had already acquired our own houses. Also we had to sell our maternal grandparents place in Margao this year (late 17th century) as all the inheritors,except for three of us live in Portugual/Brazil. We did not sell it to an outsider but to a fellow Goan.

Goans do not want to come back to live in Goa, but still criticize on the Goanet about outsiders coming in hoards to Goa. Blame it on others, blame it to the builders, who need migrant labourers to build the flats which goans have acquired and non-Goans.

Don't goans go to the West and buy houses/flats in the UK, USA, Canada, etc. Do the people of that country criticize Indians buying property in their own country?.

Please lets end this subject of selling ancestral land and tackle other issues, as garbage, rash driving, etc.

Ana Maria de Souza-Goswami