--- On Thu, 12/11/08, Marshall Mendonza <mmendonz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Earlier we were informed that it was 'guilt by association' and that the >VHP
>of A is different from the VHP. Now that the cat is out of the bag,  I
>wonder what her apologists and spin doctors will tell us next.

It is not surprising that the guy who is relentlessly trying to smear an
innocent person and humanitarian like Sonal Shah on Goanet for narrow communal
and political reasons does not understand what is meant by guilt by
association, and is now engaging in name-calling against Goanetters who are
exposing his deeds.

Here is Sonal Shah's latest statement on these dishonest guilt by association
smears initiated by someone who spread similar malicious smears against Mother
Teresa.

BEGIN QUOTE
I was recently maligned by a professor at a college in Connecticut who wrote an
article in CounterPunch accusing me of association with Hindu extremism. Then,
a few days ago, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, former Republican
Senator from Pennsylvania, published an editorial in the Philadelphia Inquirer,
to which this site linked, that echoed the CounterPunch accusations. These
attacks sadden me, but they share one other thing in common: the accusations
are false.

In reaction to these attacks, my closest friends -- and many strangers -- have
rallied to my side. I am touched by this outpouring of support. And as painful
as this episode has been for me personally, I welcome the opportunity to
discuss this issue with the seriousness that it deserves, but the conversation
should proceed on the basis of verified facts and reasoned argument, not
innuendo and defamation.

Indian politics and history are contested and emotive, but also unfamiliar to
most Americans. I understand why so many Indians and Indian-Americans feel
strongly about religious extremism in India, because I share the same concerns.

I am an American, and my political engagements have always and only been
American. I served as a U.S. Treasury Department official for seven years, and
now work on global development policy at Google.org. And I am honored to serve
on the Presidential Transition Team of President-elect Obama while on leave
from Google.org.

I emigrated from India at the age of four, and grew up in Houston. Like many
Americans, I remain proud of my heritage. But my engagement with India has been
exclusively cultural and humanitarian. After the devastating earthquake in
Gujarat in 2001, I worked on behalf of a consortium of Indian-American
organizations to raise funds for humanitarian relief. The Vishwa Hindu Parishad
of America (VHP-A), an independent charity associated with the eponymous Indian
political group, was among these organizations, and it was the only one to list
my name on its website. I am not affiliated with any of these organizations,
including the VHP-A, and have not worked with any of them since 2001.

The experience with the Gujarat earthquake did, however, teach me an important
lesson. It pointed up a lack of dedicated infrastructure to help alleviate
suffering in India, so together with my brother and sister, I founded
Indicorps, an organization modeled on the U.S. Peace Corps that enables young
Indian-Americans to spend a year in service to marginalized communities in
India. The fellows come from every religious background, and have worked among
every religious community in India. Indeed, some Indicorps fellows focus on
inter-faith dialogue as part of their projects.

In 2002, Gujarat suffered one of the most profound tragedies in its long
history, when extremist political leaders, including some associated with the
VHP, incited riots that resulted in the deaths of thousands. Had I been able to
foresee the role of the VHP in India in these heinous events, or anticipate
that the VHP of America could possibly stand by silently in the face of its
Indian counterpart's complicity in the events of Gujarat in 2002 -- thereby
undermining the American group's cultural and humanitarian efforts with which I
was involved -- I would not have associated with the VHP of America.

Sadly, CounterPunch and Senator Santorum have suggested that I somehow endorse
that violence and the ongoing violence in Orissa. I do not - I deplore it. But
more than that, I have worked against it, and will continue to do so. I have
already denounced the groups at issue and am hopeful that we can begin to have
an honest conversation about the ways immigrant and diaspora communities can
engage constructively in social and humanitarian work abroad.
END QUOTE

Cheers,

Santosh