Selma's book about Diaspora Goans should be a great read. Congratulations Selma
for your yeomen work.

Reading some comments on the book, it appears it has a lot of stories on
individual Diaspora Goans.  If true, it shows individual Goans being pioneers
and breaking the 'glass ceiling.'  This made it much easier for those who
followed them.  I recollect my job in Hammersmith Hospital in London.  At my
interview, the chair asked me if I knew of a prior Goan, who worked there and
impressed his bosses immensely...... But I digress.

In medicine, we call individual patient-story as "anecdotal cases."  They are
very interesting because these individual cases are rare and their behavior is
different from the norm. Yes, they are different from the norm. Hence we cannot
/ do not rely-on and study the natural history of the disease (or the
community)
by relying on individual stories, as many sociologists do.  I hope in addition
to the important individual accounts, the book has abundant statistical
information; a fact not often seen in Goa-related books and writings.

When we rely on accounts of yester-years (about Goans abroad OR foreigners in
Goa), we often refer to the science of ETHNOCENTRISM.  Only recently we have
realized the science of CULTURAL RELATIVITY.

ETHNOCENTRISM is to see one's "way of life" as the only "right way" of living.
Ethnocentrism continues to exists in theory and practice by conservative
writers
and authoritarian governments, both on the left and right of the political
spectrum. In its extreme, ethnocentrism leads to bigotry.

CULTURAL RELATIVITY (which is still a maturing science) studies customs in the
context of culture as a whole and how it works relative to the existing
environment and socio-economic patterns of the society.  This is obviously a
much more nuanced study.  Cultural Relativity in a multi-cultural
society is theoretically enlightening, but in practice it can lead to social
disruption, even in today's world.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/cs_20100724_3946.php

I am amazed that many Goans who write about yester-year over-look and do not
appreciate the distinction and the time-lag between these two sciences.
Sociologists and historians of the ethnocentrism era blundered in
their observation and in their conclusions. Hope the present generation of
scientists in these fields do not commit similar blunders, as they analyze the
past, without separations along the time-line.

It is like analyzing medicine of 15th -19th century by today's standards. Then,
the standard scientific therapy  for most illnesses was blood letting, purges,
enemas etc, to "remove the bad poisons / humors".

Regards, GL

* * *

UK STOCKS EXHAUSTED! After a community-supported launch at
Croydon, Selma Carvalho's *Into the Diaspora Wilderness* is
available at Broadways Book Centre, Panjim [Ph +91-9822488564]
Price (in Goa only) Rs 295. Ask a friend to pick up a copy.
Details of the book http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/

* * *