I myself never have a problem with GCC. If GCC is still available,
and you did not remove anything, then things should compile fine.
So the error may be elsewhere - what is the specific error that
you get?

The error I am stuck with right now is in regards to docbook*. I hate
that package with a passion... unfortunately it is needed for e. g.
dconf, which is in turn needed for gnome-terminal.

I settled for mate-desktop myself. It's pretty lightweight and I managed
to compile it fine.

PS: One of the biggest advantages of GoboLinux is that you can
have multiple versions just fine; I recommend to have a static
busybox, a few GCC, binutils, coreutils, grep, sed awk (ideally
static if possible) - this should help get things compiling reliably.

PSS: That "configuration error", whatever it is, should also not happen.
If you can reproduce it, please also report it so that it can eventually
be fixed. Hopefully. :) (Or documented in the wiki, if we know what
happened, and how to resolve it then.)