Great post, and I agree wholeheartedly.  Go is far simpler to learn than
any other production-ready language (excluding languages that are only used
for teaching, like Scratch)... but AFAIK, there's no "intro to programming,
which happens to use Go".  I think this is pretty easily doable (and I
would be surprised if there weren't any colleges/highschools/grade schools
doing that yet).  I think it has real merit to use a "real" language to
learn, because then there's no barrier at the end of the course... the
language scales with you.  There's no time when you have to jump off and
learn something else until you're ready to go try python or java or
whatever.

The one drawback I see is that right now, Go is mainly (very) good for
writing boring things - CLIs and servers, for the most part.  Many people
who haven't yet ventured into programming get drawn in by the thought of
writing cool flashy things - a GUI or a webpage or a game they can show off
to their friends.  Now, obviously, those things are also exponentially more
difficult to code in general... but it's those kinds of things that grab
people.  No one enters the field of mechanical engineering to design screw
heads, for example, even if that's like 50% of the reality of the job.
 This is a harder problem to solve, but not impossible.  Notably, it
doesn't matter if what you built is incredibly narrow, or incredibly
similar to what everyone else who goes through the into session has made.
 As long as it's flashy and impressive, with a personal touch, then the
creator will be proud and others will be impressed.