FWIW, I whipped up a short benchmark for this and it seems to confirm my
intuition. For small N (depending on the exact setup, on my machine, the
threshold was around N ~ 16 to 20) the copy approach is significantly
faster, but for growing N the quadratic behavior of the copy quickly makes
it much worse.

http://sprunge.us/hZOj

The test-setup here mirrors my assumptions from the last mail. We allocate
a fixed slice of length N and then do N pop-pushes, reflecting the
conditions after the queue has been used for a while in a balanced manner
and looking at long-term-ish performance characteristics to amortize the
allocations.

I also looked at individual pop-push sequences (instead of doing N in a
row, so this code: http://sprunge.us/UGdI) and this favors the append-way
even more. Which makes sense, because then the allocations happen only very
rarely for large N, so the disadvantage get's compensated.

Also, the usual caveats apply: This is a microbenchmark and benchmarking is
hard and even though there is a relative difference, the absolute numbers
are small enough that it likely doesn't make an actual difference in any
realistic program.