So 2¢:

a) I dislike reddit, it has a pretty bad culture of voting by opinion,
drowning out opinions seen as different from the mob and it just, in
general, has too many assholes (not /r/golang specifically, but reddit in
general).
b) I think one good argument for /r/golang over other things (like the go
forum or whatever) is the cross-pollination. It allows non- or part-time
gophers to voice their opinions and be heard in the go community and it
allows full-time gophers that hang around on reddit (largely due to
/r/golang) to also go to other subreddits and bring the go-perspective
there. I think that is good, when /r/programming once again decides that go
is the devil incarnated because it doesn't have ADT.
c) I would find it sad, if /r/golang (or /r/whatevsgolang) wouldn't be
official anymore, because that also means that the go CoC doesn't apply
anymore or at least wouldn't be enforceable for lack of a good escalation
path. As people pointed out, it is already kind of hard to moderate and
keep in check, I believe this would make it worse.
d) What /u/prez did was unconscionable and it makes it *very hard* to
defend the continuing existence of reddit as a whole; before it could at
least *pretend* to be a tool of free speech as a fig-leaf for allowing the
spread of all the hate. But this argument falters completely in the face of
censoring dissenting users content without consent.

FWIW, if /r/golang closes, I'll likely not frequent reddit anymore and will
eventually delete my account; I have /r/golang in my RSS-reader and if it
doesn't draw me there, I'll just forget over time. That's not an argument,
but it illustrates (b) somewhat.