Hey,
I had int as a key in my map and later realised I only used 100 or so
values, so swapped it for a uint8, expecting a minor speed increase, but
saw a major slowdown instead. To recreate this, I tried this simple
microbenchmark and was surprised by the difference between (u)int8/16 and
int/int32/int64.

https://play.golang.org/p/RxmtASRiS4

In my actual code I have the key in a slice, so I expected []uint8 to be
more cache friendly than []int, but I guess any potential cache
friendliness was outweighed by this hashing performance difference.

Thanks for any info on this.