From: Ian Lance Taylor [mailto:i...@golang.org]
Sent: 2017 January 25, Wed 19:18
To: John Souvestre
Cc: golang-nuts
Subject: Re: [go-nuts] Is Go too strict for nesting function callings?

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 5:05 PM, John Souvestre <j...@souvestre.com> wrote:

> Thanks!  I see both the limitation and the exception.
>
> Other than implementation complexity, is there a reason for the limitation of
> single-valued expressions?  Is there some fundamental problem with allowing
> multi-valued expressions that I'm missing?

It's potentially confusing when used with variadic functions.  If we
extend past function calls, it's potentially confusing when used with
multi-valued assignment statements.  It's hard to make fully general
while avoiding confusion, and specific uses don't seem to arise often
enough in practice to justify adding more exceptions to the language.

Ian