(sorry for the duplicate post, the other one disappeared)

I wrote a tweet after Gophercon about making a resolution to write more
blog posts.  I used the hashtag #GopherResolution with the hope that other
people might pick up the idea and run with it.  So far, however, only one
other person has used the tag.

There are studies on the effects of making public promises (resolutions) to
act that indicate it is generally effective in getting you to stick to
those resolutions (at least more so than ones you don't announce).

However, it occurred to me that most resolutions fail because they're too
vague.  There's an acronym called SMART that says your goals should be
Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-based.  The
"measurable" one is the interesting one, and where I think we can leverage
software to help us.

My idea is to make a website where gophers can make specific resolutions to
contribute to the community, and the website can then track those
resolutions over time.  For example, a resolution to write blog posts could
be tracked by consuming an RSS Feed.  A resolution to contribute to a
particular project could track PRs, issues, etc.  The website could track
streaks over time if we give a time box for each contribution (write a blog
post every 2 weeks, or contribute to one open source project every month).

With dashboards showing top contributors, etc, it could effectively
game-ify community involvement.

Of course, all of this would take a significant amount of work to code, but
it seems very doable, if enough people would actually participate.

Thoughts?  Is this something you'd be interested in?  Do you think it would
be valuable to build?

-Nate