I don't think that this is a productive thread.  I'll just make a few
points for the record.

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 8:07 PM,  <hughaguila...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did Go or Rust come first?

Graydon started working on Rust first, but Go was announced publicly
first.  At the time that the Go project started within Google, I don't
think that anybody outside of Mozilla had heard of Rust.  I could be
misremembering, though.

> I'll bet if Mozilla had used Go to write FireFox, rather than invent their
> own language, Google would have done something to stop them.

I am absolutely certain that this would not have happened.

> Also, Go could be used to write an OS that is secure from NSA snooping.
> According to Edward Snowden, Google makes money from the NSA --- and money
> talks!

Citation needed.

> By proprietary I didn't necessarily mean closed-source.
> I just meant that Google declares a crippleware version of Go to be the
> Standard --- possibly pushing it through ANSI so it is written in stone.

To what purpose?

Ian