I think have misspoken. Even though the field's name appears exported via
reflection (it has a name that starts with a capital letter), attempting to
use the reflect.Value's SetInt method panics, indicating that the field was
obtained using an unexported field. So the encoding/json package is thus
consistent with that in that it ignores unexported fields.

It is still not obvious from the spec what should be happening. I would
expect it to be exported due to the resolved field name. But if it is
unexported because the compiler resolves the alias first, then I would
expect a compiler error because the four fields all resolve to the same
name. The spec <https://golang.org/ref/spec#Struct_types> states this is
not allowed:

The following declaration is illegal because field names must be unique in
a struct type:

struct {
        T     // conflicts with embedded field *T and *P.T
        *T    // conflicts with embedded field T and *P.T
        *P.T  // conflicts with embedded field T and *T
}

So it is possible that this is not a bug in the encoding/json package but
in the compiler.

----
*Josh Humphries*
jh...@bluegosling.com