On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Bakul Shah <ba...@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:02:47 -0800 David Anderson <d...@natulte.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > As a counterpoint to this: with vgo, I plan to make all my binary modules
> > specify that they want the latest versions of everything,

> The right choice here is not clear (at least to me).

> Usually more stable versions are tagged and "released"

My bias is to use the latest "released" tools libraries and source.
Released code has more interactions and probably a better chance
for the community discovery of an issue you care about.

Build and test often as part of the process.

It is not just the libraries but also the compiler and build system itself.

I spent a month+ trying to sort out a customers application bug that
resulted from promotion of an optimization to an intrinsic in a compiler
update.

Compilers and applications can be victims of a system lib change and more
including system test
resources.

This is a difficult problem and the answer involves knowing (best guess)
what it takes to debug the
entire pile of worms not just the application.  It is turtles all the way
down but one
possible solution is to put all the worms you can in a virtual machine that
can be canned and archived.
A 4.7 GB DVD or a 25 GB Blu-Ray archival quality disk for the self
contained
single purpose built VM.   A 25GB system is worthy for a lot of projects
but not all.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l