Quoting Eric Raymond (2018-10-16 17:28:11)

>    Fair enough. But is there any way to have a contract system of *any*
>    kind that doesn't have the identical problem?�

Linked elsewhere in this thread, but I sketched something that I think
does the trick:

    https://gist.github.com/zenhack/ad508d08c72fce6df945a49945ad826d

As written it punts on operator overloading, but I think given the
solution you've described re: ==, it can be updated to support it.

-Ian