> Maybe it's just me (and projects like the Stripe SDK and Blackfriday), but
> that's exactly what I would expect.

Have you raised an issue/experience report with this feedback?

> Building source files is subject to build constraints, generating a go.mod
> isn't (or shouldn't be; unless there's some reason I'm missing why you'd want
> a go.mod file that's specific to an individual build with all its
> constraints?).

No, I can't think of any reason why you would want a go.mod that is
specific to a set of build constraints. But to my mind that's a
slightly different point to whether a build command should have a side
effect beyond it's constraints.

That said I'd encourage you to file an issue/experience report,
because this is just my opinion/understanding of the reasoning behind
the current state.