Quoting Robert Engels (2018-12-02 00:19:40)
> I know everyone hates it when I reference java but it has had dot
> importsat the package level since day one. I won’t repeat why that
> matters. It’s never been a problem.
>
> I don’t think I ever heard someone complain it was a problem in
> working in Java, why is it such a problem in Go?

I'll admit to not having much experience with large Java projects, so
hard for me to say why this would be in Java. But from browsing through
the source of a handful of open source Java projects, my first guess is:
nobody uses them. It seems the norm is to just import each class you
want to use individually; I don't see much .*

This is why it works out in Elm -- because people don't use it much.