I'm running Deepin, debian based. Looking into the forums, the devs aren't
interested in Wayland at the moment. [1] Though they are switching over the
WM over to QT and kwin, so maybe in the future that will be an option.

I was only trying to run weston to try out gio. Thanks for the feedback,
good to know.

1.
https://bbs.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=133029&page=1#pid279019